Part 77

Abby

"So where are we going now?"

Van didn't tell me, he just smiled. "You'll see..."

He started up the car, but hesitated. I was looking out the passenger window but felt a soft touch, a gentle hand brushing my thigh. I turned to him.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh-huh," I nodded, my breath catching.

His touch was like fire and electricity. All afternoon he'd reached for me. A hand on the small of my back as he moved past me, a reassuring arm around my shoulder or a guiding arm around my waist, a hand taking my hand. Small, subtle gestures that sent a little spark through me each time.

I could feel my resolve crumbling, but instead of it scaring me, incredibly it felt good.

I was still feeling a little embarrassed by blurting out how he made me feel. I hadn't planned it, I usually preferred not to lay my feelings bare, but somehow being vulnerable around Van didn't make me feel weak anymore.

He pulled out of the parking spot, and I reached for my phone, hearing a text notification.

Michelle: Are you going to kill me for tricking you? 🙈 Hope you're having a good time.

I smiled to myself, quickly typing a reply.

I'll let you off! I'm actually having a really good time.

Michelle: Good. You deserve it. Love you x

We didn't have to travel far to reach the next destination. Van pulled up on a residential street just up from the seafront. "C'mon, there's a couple of people I'd like you to meet."

Immediately I felt nerves twist my gut. Who on earth was Van taking me to see? I self-consciously ran a hand through my hair and pulled on the hem of my dress as we stepped onto the pavement.

"You look just fine," I heard Van say. He'd obviously noticed my nervous fidgeting.

He led me up to a large, white three storey building and I glanced all around for some sort of clue. Then I spotted a 'Vacancies' sign in the window. It was a guesthouse. He rang the doorbell.

Van grinned, obviously noting my puzzled expression. "Oh, don't worry. It's not the kind of establishment where they rent out rooms by the hour!"

I was just about to reply, but before I had chance to speak, the door was flung open widely and a middle-aged blonde lady stepped out. I watched as her expression turned from expectant, to surprise, to the widest joyful smile.

"Ryan! You didn't tell me you were coming!" She exclaimed.

As she spoke she stepped forward, arms open wide, pulling Van into a bear hug so tight I could see it pained him.

"Ahhh watch it mam!" He laughed, turning to look at me as she released him finally.

I was hit by a barrage of feelings. Confusion. Ryan? Nervousness. He's bringing me to meet his mum already? Awkwardness. What must she think of me for putting her son in the face of danger like I had done?

"And you must be Abby!" She said, eyes lit up with a kind of welcoming warmth I didn't expect, and then to my complete surprise her arms were wide again, and I was swept into a hug as tight as the one she'd given her son.

"Errr... hello... Mrs McCann... it's really nice to meet you..." I stuttered.

She chuckled. "It's Mary. Please don't call me Mrs McCann. It makes me feel old!"