Chapter 34

It was almost sun down. Emily and Alex waited all day for the next transport vehicles to come by. They were on top of a hill that was next to the road. "We've been here all day. When is it gonna be here?" Alex said. "I don't know but we just have to keep waiting." Emily said.

Another few moments of silence filled the air until Alex broke it. "Uh..Emily?" He asked. "Yeah." "So what was you about to say back there on the ship?" Alex asked. "What are you talking about?" Emily asked. "Aw c'mon. Too much pride to say the three words. I know you want to say it." Alex said nudging her on the arm. Emily punched in on his shoulder. "Like I said, I don't know what you're talking about. I LIKE you and that's that." Emily said. "Oh, okay. I understand." Alex said a little sad. Emily's expression softened and his tone. "*sighs* Alex I..." "Hey there are the transports." Alex cut her off pointing ahead. "You ready?" He asked. "Y-Yeah I'm ready." Emily said.

They sneaked there way next to the road and waited for the transports to come by. Once they came close, Emily and Alex rolled into the road underneath the transports and grabbed onto the under belly. They road the transports to a rebel checkpoint. After they scanned the transports, they were cleared to go in. The transports parked near other transports.

Emily and Alex got out from under the transport and sneaked away. They were looking for an entrance into base that wasn't guard that much. When they found a side entrance, they saw only two guards in front of it. They easily took them out and entered the base undetected. While they search for the right room to get their intel, Emily noticed that Alex didn't say much the entire time. She felt bad about what she said earlier and wanted to talk to him about it but she knew that the mission was to come first and also stayed quiet about it.

While still sneaking through the base, they heard footsteps coming from a hallway. They went to turn around but they also heard more footsteps. "We're surrounded. What do we do?" Emily asked. "Over there." Alex said. He pointed at a person sized vent shaft. They both went up to it and took off the cage. Emily walked in the dark first Alex joined her as he put the vent cage back on. When the footsteps got louder, they saw Jobin and other rebel soldiers walking past. Suddenly, Jobin stopped walking. He then turned to the vent that Emily and Alex were in. Alex slowly grasped his blaster ready to pull it out but Emily stopped him. She grabbed his hand and locked fingers with his. Alex looked at her and she shook her head 'no'. Alex nodded and faced the vent cage. Jobin then slowly walked closer to the vent. Alex tightened his grip on Emily's hand and was shaking a little. Emily used her other hand to gently grabbed onto his arm. Alex put his arm in front of Emily to protect her as Jobin came closer.

"Sir, are you coming?" A rebel soldier asked Jobin. Jobin looked at him and back at the dark vent. "Yeah. Lets go." He said and left. Emily sighed in relief but noticed Alex looking down. "What's wrong?" She asked. "I could've ended it here and there. He's dangerous and you know it. If he was able to rival Ezra in combat then we should have ended it so we won't deal with him again and not see anyone hurt." Alex answered. Emily took off her helmet and hugged him. "I know. But that isn't our mission. If you had done that then the entire base would've been on us. We have to pick our battles if we are to have victory. I get you want to protect the Clan, protect me, but you have to remember that we'll always be okay no matter the threat." Emily told him grabbing his hand. "You're right. Thanks Em." Alex said. Emily smiled and kissed his helmet. Alex took his helmet off and kissed Emily on the lips. Once they parted they put their helmets back on. "Now, what do you say we complete this mission." Emily said and Alex nodded.

After a few minutes of walking through the vents, they found a room that looked like the data center. They came out of the vents and got to a computer. "You got it Em?" Alex asked. "Yeah. This shouldn't take long." Emily said and started hacking the computer. Alex grabbed his blaster and got behind Emily aiming at the door. After a few moments Emily pulled out a data chip. "Okay done. Lets go home." She said.

Then the alarms went off. "Alert! Unauthorized entry detected in the sever room! All troops to battle stations!" The loud speaker said. "Oh, no." Alex said. Then rebels entered the room. "Freeze! It's seven against two!" One said. "I like those odds." Emily said. She drew her blasters and her and Alex fired at the rebels. They exited the room running threw the halls blasting rebel soldiers. Emily hooked up the data chip to a device and pressed some buttons. "What are you doing?" Alex asked. "I'm sending the data we got back to Concordia. If we don't make it back to the ship in time." She explained.

They made it outside and was met with a lot of rebels. They took cover behind some crates and started shooting and them. The rebels were surrounded them and coming. "We can't keep this up!" Emily stated. "Emily listen! Get back to the ship and call for help. I'll stay here and distract them." Alex said. "No! I'm not leaving you here. They'll kill you." Emily protested. "They'll kill us both if we both stay here. Just send the signal back to base and they'll come for us." Alex told her. Emily was about to say something but then Alex got shot in the side on the unprotected part of his body and fell to the ground. "Alex!!!" Emily shouted. She kneeled down to him placing his head on her lap while Alex clutched his side. "Agh! Karabast! Emily you got to go! Now!" Alex begged her on but Emily did not move. She grabbed his hand. "I'm not leaving you!" She said.

The rebels then came and surrounded them. Emily aimed her blaster in all directions. "Come any closer and I'll kill you." She threatened. "No. You won't." A voice said. Emily looked ahead and saw Jobin walking up to them. "The good thing about you people's armor, is that you always keep some parts opened for a good shot." He said. "You shot Alex!" Emily said in anger and aimed her blaster at him. "I wouldn't. Then I'll have to kill your friend here." Jobin told her. Emily didn't have a plan of action or a way out of it. With no other choices left, she lowered her blaster and looked down.

"Good girl. Take them away."