Existential Crisis and Advice

What was my purpose? What was I meant to do? What was I doing? The answer to that last question was easy enough to answer: I wasn't doing anything besides laying on the floor and staring at the ceiling.

I sighed as I considered what my life had turned into since being taken in by Madara. A big ol' goddamn mess to be sure, and now that I finally had my autonomy back I had no idea what to do with it.

I heard the door open, electing to ignore it until Naruto almost tripped directly over my face.

"Whoa!" the boy yelped as he barely managed to stumble out of the way, almost dropping the stack of documents he was carrying in the process.

I quickly sat up, "Careful!"

"That's what you get for laying on the floor in the office." Kakashi drawled from behind his desk, not even bothering to look up from his notes.

I pouted, crossing my legs and resting my head on a hand, "Alright, alright..."

"What are you doing on the floor anyways?" Naruto asked, setting down the stack of papers and turning to me in curiosity.

"He's been moping around my office all day." Kakashi commented, "I'm surprised you haven't noticed."

I let out perhaps a little too dramatic sigh, "I just... have no idea what I'm doing."

"You're being a pain, Obito." Kakashi quipped.

I shot him a glare, "You know damn well what I mean."

Kakashi quirked a brow at that, peeking over his document at me, "I do?"

I frowned at his basic lack of human sympathy, "Am I just supposed to be your secretary for all of eternity?"

"I won't be Hokage forever." he shrugged before frowning himself, "At least I certainly hope not."

"That's not the point." I stood up in exasperation, "I don't know if this is right for me. Besides, it's not like you even really need a secretary!"

Kakashi shrugged dismissively, "I suppose."

I gazed at him hopelessly for a moment, and, after looking between the two of us, Naruto pointedly cleared his throat. Kakashi glared at him for a moment, sighed heavily, and then set down his paper, "Obito, I don't know what you want me to tell you. That I don't want you to be my secretary? That I do? Do you think I'm going to just magically have the answer to what your purpose in life is?" He massaged his brow, "I don't even know mine."

I sat down in a chair dejectedly; he was right after all, he didn't owe me an answer even if he did have one, "I... yeah... I know you can't answer that question for me, but I have no idea who I am anymore."

Naruto slowly leaned towards Kakashi, and, although he attempted to keep his voice low I still clearly heard him ask, "Is this what a midlife crisis is?" What annoyed me more was how Kakashi nodded.

I hung my head in defeat; why did I think I was going to get anywhere talking to these two?

"Obito," Kakashi prompted, "You need to try and reconnect with who you were when you were a genin. What did you care about back then? What interested you?" he shrugged, "That's where I'd start at least."

I wasn't expecting to actually get advice from him. Considering what he'd said though, I wasn't quite sure if thinking about my genin days was the best option, as I mainly just thought about Rin back then.

"I guess he could do that." Naruto hummed, "But maybe if he went out and talked to some other people he might be able to get better ideas. Isn't this stuff about 'experience' or whatever?"