Chapter 77

Emma's POV.

My heartbeat pounded slightly in my chest when I heard the slam of a door. I turn my head to focus on his dark chocolate eyes as he approached me with a smile on his face.

"Hi babe," Josh smiled, nearing me.

"Hey." I tried to keep my voice calm and leveled so he didn't think that I suspected anything. I still have no idea where he went, who he went to see, or what he was doing.

He walks up to me, I could hear the sound of his converse slightly squeaking on the hard wood floor. I'm a little caught off guard when he envelops me in a warm hug. Ugh Josh you're making it hard to stay mad at you. Why am I even mad? He probably didn't do anything wrong.

"How was the meeting?" My eyes narrow at his face, trying to find any sign of hesitation in his answer.

"Great, we just went over filming schedules for mockingjay." He lies. If Jen didn't call me earlier, I would have believed him. He's a great liar.

"Really?" I pull away from his arms and raise my eyebrows.

He mumbles yes while scratching the back of his neck. Should I confront him or let him tell me on his own?

"What do you want to do today?" He quickly changes the subject and walks over to the kitchen area to pull open the fridge. So he is hiding something. But what?

"I'm up for anything." I shrug. As long as I get to change out of these clothes.

"Good, cause I have something planned for us."

His voice was light and sweet. He seems to be in a happy mood. My mind wanders in so many places. Why is he so happy? I can't focus on a single thing. I stand in the middle of the room with my thumbs hooked in the loops of my jeans. Josh turns around and notices my distressed state. He strides over to me in an instant, lifting up my chin in the process.

"Hey, why so glum?" He teases. He kisses my forehead, both of my cheeks, and then my lips. I can't help but smile at his sudden affection. Before I know it, his strong arms are lifting me in the air and spinning me around. I can't help but giggle at his random act.

"I love you so much, Emma." He laughs in return as he sets me down. He strokes my cheek, with great care.

"What's gotten into you?" My cheeks start to hurt from smiling so much.

"I'm just so lucky to have you. I want you to know that." He bites his bottom lip and I can't help but pull him in for a quick kiss.

"I love you," I tell him.

When he puts his hands to his side, I take them in mine, staring at him the whole time. But that's when I see him wince at my touch.

"Are you okay?"

I instinctively look down at his hands and let out an involuntary gasp at what I see. His knuckles- they're bloody. Some of them have bruised over but the blood on the surface is apparent.

"What-"

"It's nothing." He turns around and walks away from me. His hands find a way to his hair as it ruffles it and falls onto the bed.

I stand there with my arms crossed, I can't help but feel extremely mad at the fact that he's lying to me after everything that's happened.

Right as I'm about to retaliate, someone knocks at the door.

Jennifer's POV.

I anxiously wait at the door, hoping to get there in time before all hell breaks lose. Josh tends to make hasty decisions when it comes to people he loves. And I have a feeling his need for lying to Emma will cause a feud. I like Emma a lot and Josh is lucky to have her. He doesn't realize how easy it would be to lose her.