Chapter 71

Emma's POV.

"Things have actually been good." Mickey tells me. The streets are empty and we find ourselves walking around my old neighborhood.

"Do tell."

"Well Eli is amazing as always. I can't believe I got so lucky. I love him."

"Woah woah woah you love him?" I stop her.

"Yeah." she blushes.

"That's amazing. And you've told him that right?"

"Yeah, it took a while but yeah."

She kicks at some rocks on the ground. When we begin walking again, she starts questioning me.

"How's the college life?" she doesn't keep the look of disgust off her face.

"Hey it's not that bad. I actually like it. Minus the homework and the stress and the exams..actually it is horrible." we laugh. It feels weird being able to laugh again and momentarily forget about how big of a mess my life is.

I realized that what I really needed these past few days was a friend. Sure Skylar was a great friend but no one can replace Mickey.

"Which is exactly why I took a break from school. " she tells me.

"Lucky you. Everyone hates me there."

"I'm sure that's not true."

"They think that the only reason I'm with Josh is because he's Josh Hutcherson and has loads of money."

"How's the distance?"

She doesn't have to say anything more for me to realize that she's talking about Josh.

"Hard, lonely, and confusing." I answer honestly.

"Confusing?"

"I didn't want to tell you about it because I thought you would freak out." my voice cracks at the end and I try to control my breathing. I keep telling myself to calm down and that everything will be fine.

"What do you mean? What happened?"

"I went to this party-"

"You went to a party? Go on."

"And Evan was there and I completely got wasted and couldn't tell who was who or what I was even doing and he was comforting me and he seemed so much like Josh heck he even looked like Josh to me and I kissed him." I let out in one huge breath. I didn't want to drag it out because telling that story for the second time brings back a new set of pain. I find myself relieved that I was able to do so.

I look over at Mickey to see that she's in deep thought.

"It was an accident." she tells me.

"What?"

"It was one stupid kiss, an accident. Don't even worry about it Josh will understand." that was not the reaction I was expecting from her.

"You make it seem so simple-"

"Because it really is that simple."

Okay seriously what is up with her? She's taking this so...lightly.

"How are you so calm about this?"

"Because-" the sound of her phone ringing cuts her off. She answers in a second.

"Hello?" I faintly hear mumbling from the other line. The conversation goes on for a minute before she hangs up.

"I've got to go!"