Chapter 15

Emma's POV.

Emma: Hey Mom I'm so sorry. Mickey and I ran into.. Well it's hard to explain I hope you understand. I'll pick up the food tomorrow I promise!

I'm currently sitting on a soft plush couch by myself while everyone else is enjoying themselves. Josh invited five of his high school friends over. They seem really cool. The type of people you envied in high school for being popular and sociable. I look around the room seeing what everyone was doing.

Mickey was talking to two of Josh's friends, I think their names were Nick and Evelyn. I wish I was as confident as her. Why do I have to be so shy? Across the room from them was Josh and his friend Tyler, probably just catching up. And Connor and three other people are laughing at a joke he said, I didn't catch their names earlier.

I scroll through my Twitter, trying to keep myself occupied when someone sits besides me.

"Oh hey, Josh." I nervously put my phone down and play with my fingers.

"Hey, Emma. Are you having fun?" he asks while making direct eye contact. I look away. He leans his arm across the sofa and I instantly tense up. All I can think of was one thing.

He smells so good.

"Yeah I am. Thanks again for inviting Mickey and I over."

"It's really no problem, it's least I could do."

My mind keeps trailing back to our conversation earlier. How did he get my number if he didn't get my note? Why did Connor lie to him?

"Josh, I've been meaning to talk to you about-"

"Josh, can you come over here!" Evelyn yells across the room.

"Yeah one second!" He looks back at me and gives me a small smile. "What were you saying?"

"Go ahead we can talk about it later." I sigh.

"Are you sure? What's on your mind?" he asks concerned.

"No it's fine go!" he smiles and hesitantly walks away.

I watch as he approaches Evelyn and Mickey. They whisper something into his ear and he begins to blush. How did I end up at Josh Hutcherson's house and manage to be stuck alone on his couch? Only you, Emma. Only you.

While I'm busy daydreaming in Josh's direction, I feel the sofa shift as someone sits down.

"It's Emma right?" Nick asks me. He positions his hand next to my thigh, and I visibly tense up.

"Yeah. And you're Nick?" I ask.

"That'd be me. You looked pretty lonely over here. I thought I'd give you some company." he says flirtatiously.

"Thanks." I say clearly not interested. Yet he still doesn't take a hint.

"So, are you of legal age?"

"Nick, Josh said he wanted to tell you something." Connor walks in saving me.

"Now?" Connor nods. "Well I guess I'll see you later love." he takes my hand and kisses it before finally leaving.

"Wow thank you, yet again." I smile shyly.

"Of course, I'll always have your back." he smiles. We both sit down and start talking about random things for a while. Politics, religion, our favorite colors, movies, you name it. Then he starts telling me some lame jokes that I actually find hilarious.