Chapter 57

Emma's POV.

"What did you say?" Josh clenches his jaw and my whole body goes still.

"Oh you know. I didn't expect a girl like her to be with someone like you." he laughs loudly.

"You don't know who you're messing with buddy." Josh is wearing his usual disguise so he's unrecognizable. I hope it stays that way.

His friends are all by his side. I don't like where this is going. I hate guys like this, always trying to pick a fight.

"You could have done so much better babe." blondie addresses me.

"Don't call her that." Josh's voice is filled with menace. I look at Connor for help but he just shrugs his shoulders. Sometimes I forget that he's only sixteen.

"Josh let's go." I tug on his shirt. His hands are clenched to his side leaving them a pale white.

"Yeah go Josh. Don't want to start something now do we?"

"Why don't you just leave him alone?" I speak up surprising myself. Everyone turns to look at me.

"Because he needs to realize that a pretty little thing like you doesn't need to be with someone like him. You just know that I would treat you so much better than he ever would." he smirks.

"You don't know a thing about him." my temper rises.

"You probably don't either.You're probably just some hooker who-"

And that's when I see Josh snap. He throws a punch directly at his face which makes him fall to the ground. I scream and try to tell him to stop but it's too late. The first thing I see is blood and before I know it I'm cowering backwards and run directly into Connor. He grabs a hold of my shaking body. Too many memories rush back into my mind.

Blondie grasps his nose and starts to shake his head.

"That was a bad idea." he says.

"Josh please." my voice comes out shaky. When he turns to look at me, his features are hard. He immediately softens up when he sees my distressed state.

"Maybe you should go." Connor says.

"Last time I checked-"

"Yeah maybe you should go before I kick you guys out." Alex steps around the corner eyeing them threateningly.

"Okay okay, this wasn't going anywhere anyways. Later." he winks at me and him and his friends leave the shop.

"Thank you Alex." I say.

"Don't mention it." she gives me a pitiful smile before returning to her job.

"Let's get out of here." Connor says. I follow him to the car with Josh trailing behind. In the distance I hear Nancy complaining.

"Josh?" Connor stops in his tracks and looks behind me.

"What is it?" I ask him.

"Emma go wait in the car."

"What's going on?" I spin around and I swear my heart stops.

"Josh!" I run over to him before I begin to process what's going on. He's surrounded by the same guys but this time Josh is the one laying on the concrete.

"Leave him alone!" I try to break through their little circle but someone grabs ahold of my waist.

"Connor let go!" I cry.