Chapter 52

Emma's POV.

"It was you Emma. You are the girl."

What?

"What?"

"You're the one. I was trying to catch your attention, I guess by making you jealous."

So many things are rushing through my head.

"Why?" I let out.

"Because...I don't know really. I wanted something, or someone to distract me from you and," he hesitates.

"Me and?"

"You and Connor."

"But nothing's going on with me and Connor."

"I didn't know that at the time." he admits.

"Wait, let me get this straight. While you were doing, whatever you were doing with Chloe, it was to make me jealous? So you basically lead her on?"

"Yeah I guess I did but that doesn't matter anymore-"

"Wow! You really don't get it do you? You played with her emotions just to make me jealous. No wonder why she hates me. I would too." my eyes begin to water.

"She knew from the beginning that it wasn't an actual relationship."

"Maybe she wished it was. I saw the way she looked at you. You can't just treat girls like that Josh." I try to wipe away my tears without him noticing.

"I know but it was the only way to get to you."

"No. There are many other ways you could have approached me. Let's see hmm, you could have talked to me. You could have talked to your brother. You could have sent me a text for all I care!"

"I'm sorry. I really am. I was just really confused and wasn't thinking right." he sighs.

"I don't know if I could do this." my voice trembles.

"What do you mean?"

"This. Whatever this is. I've been though this before. The lies. The pain. I don't know if I can handle it again. How do I know you won't break my heart like you did Chloe's? You're leaving in three weeks anyways. You are freakin Josh Hutcherson and I'm just a soon to be college student. it would never work. You wouldn't even remember me." I finally admit.

"If that's what you want." his eyes lower and I take that as my cue to leave.

It's freezing. Stupid LA. Stupid skirt. Stupid emotions. At the last second, I realize I still have his jacket on.

Stupid jacket.

I turn back, and luckily he's still there. When I make it to the car, he looks up at me with hopeful eyes.

"I still have your jacket." I place it on the seat and realize that I should say something before he leaves.

"I just want you to know that I could never hate you. I don't. Thanks for everything. I wish you the best." I smile with tears streaming down my face.

I leave after that, not wanting to see what he had to say. Because I would surely lose it otherwise.

Josh's POV.

She closes the front door and I am completely lost. I did not expect that. Not at all. I expected her to be a little mad, or maybe even flattered that I wanted to make her jealous. Surely not any of that. I can't help but think I'm missing something. Should I call Mickey or Eli? Or is that weird. Connor would know.

I make my way back home and hop out the car. When I open the door I frantically call his name.

"Connor!"I barge through his room and find him reading a book.