CHAPTER 7: GUMMY SMILE

JENNIE

This is the day I never expected to happen; I cannot believe my Lalisa had dinner with us

This is the day I never expected to happen; I cannot believe my Lalisa had dinner with us. She treated me differently from the last time we met, and she was so nice and polite to me and especially to my parents.

She made a deal with us, even though I'm mostly the one who will benefit from it. However, she is still insisting that she will get a benefit from it too, but I'm quite aware that it is not true.

My Lalisa is still here at the mansion, playing chess with my dad. I'm watching them along with my mom, and we can see that these two people were both serious.

"Ruby Jane, make sure you make her fall for you. That girl is a good catch." Mom told me she was looking at Lalisa adoringly as if she were also her daughter.

"I will make sure of that." I said it with full determination.

All of a sudden, my father spoke, which caught our attention. He was asking something about Lisa.

"Lisa, when did you start playing chess?" Dad inquired.

"Today." Lalisa answered nonchalantly, which left us quite stunned.

"Today? You mean this is your first time playing?" Dad asked, earning a nod from Lalisa.

"Yes, since you want to play it. So I gave it a try." Lalisa responded as she made her next move.

Dad stopped for a moment and said, "You know how to play it, but haven't played it yet?" 

"Nope." She kept looking at the board.

"How did you? Ahmm... you know?" Dad struggles to find the right word for his question.

Lalisa looked up at my dad and said, "I just learned it earlier. I searched for a tutorial on Google so I could play with you and read all the rules." 

"Just earlier?" Dad clarified, and Lalisa just nodded, then put her focus on playing chess with my dad.

We are all surprised that she just learned how to play chess and didn't expect that she would learn it immediately.

I know she is smart, but not this smart.

Suddenly, Dad stopped playing, which confused me and my mom. Dad looked at Lalisa with a proud smile plastered on his face.

"What's the matter, Jiyong?" Mom curiously asked.

"I lose." He said it defeatistly.

"I won?" Lalisa questioned, and Dad nodded, "So I'm supposed to say checkmate?"

"You are not aware?" Mom asked, and she nodded. "Yes, dear, you already won. It's actually his first time to lose."

"Oh! I'm sorry, Dad, I didn't mean to do that." She apologized while bowing.