24

Chapter 24: I Believe In Us

═════ ⚖ ═════

~Erwin~

"Erwin? Oh my god!" (Y/N) covered her mouth after she shouted out in shock. I knew she would panic, I mean even just by the sight of me. I felt worse than I looked that's for sure. Quickly she tugged me inside her apartment and shut the door behind us.

"What the hell happened?" she wonders, circling around me she gently cups my face in her hands to get a better look at my beat-up face.

"I had a run-in with some guys, it's nothing," her thumb ran over a cut I received from being hit with a sharp object which caused me to flinch and wince at the stinging pain.

"Nothing my ass, where else are you hurt?" she asks now stepping back ready to give me a full-body exam. It was cute seeing her so concerned but at the same time, I felt a twinge of guilt for making her worry like this.

~Earlier~

I did my best to follow the blonde. Zeke was jumping bar to bar picking up women wherever he went. He was quite the party animal, currently, he had been standing between two women laughing and having the time of his life. While I stood in the crowd watching him.

I wasn't told to do this but I figured that if I tailed him for a bit something might lead me to some evidence. But for the past couple of hours, he was lounging and drinking until he felt to move onto the next club.

This club he was currently in he didn't stay long which was surprising. I had calculated how long he stayed in each tonight and it was roughly an hour to an hour and a half he'd stay before leaving. But he only stayed twenty minutes in this one. Could he be meeting someone? Maybe trying to throw me off?

I followed him through a narrow alley doing my best to one; not get caught and two; stay close enough to not lose him. But as he turned the corner I wasn't expecting the two massive men waiting for me. Clearly, he knew I was following him, I admit I was reckless in trying to keep up with him. "Where do you think you're going pretty boy?" the large male on the right asked.

I pretend he didn't just call me pretty boy, I back away but looked between them watching Zeke get into a cab. That's when they jumped me, I did everything in my power to fight back but with the two of them on me, it was hard to get any hits in.

Left and right punches were thrown while my hands flailed around hitting either one of them. As time went on I managed to kick one where it hurt the most which caused him to fall back in pain.

That's when I got the upper hand on the other guy. I quickly got to my feet and let him charge at me. That's when I jabbed him square in the nose then taking a hold of his head, I slammed my knee into his skull hard.

When that guy fell back unconscious, that's when I made a run for it. Zeke must've had them wait for me, that much was clear and I wasn't about to have my ass handed to me again by sticking around. I had to get somewhere safe, somewhere I could clean up. That's when she came to mind.

~Present~

Sprawled out on (Y/N)'s couch, my head rested in her lap as she gently dabbed at my skin cleaning my wounds. Here and there I would wince at the sting but it would quickly subside. It happened again as she ran the wet cotton pad over the cut she touched earlier, taking her hand away she pauses for a moment. "Sorry,"

"No, it's okay, continue- please,"

And so she did until my face was clean enough. I hadn't let her check under my shirt which was probably covered in some bruises by now. After sitting up, I turn to her and watch as she put away her first aid kit. "If you want you can go on and take a shower here,"

I nod and slowly rise from my seat, following her to the bathroom, I watched as she put away the box holding her first aid, then she pulled out a towel for me. "I'm gonna run out for a few while you shower. So if I'm not here when you're out don't worry okay?" she asks.

I nod despite hating the idea of her being out on her own, but I trusted she would be quick about her trip.

~(Y/N)~

I stopped by a local shop to pick up some snacks, then another store to pick up Erwin a pajama set for my place. There was no way I was letting him go home, not in his current state- even if he said he was okay.

Upon my return, I heard the shower still going, hopefully, this time I wouldn't accidentally walk in on him. So, I stayed out in the living room. When the door eventually opened I was expecting to see a fully clothed Erwin, but when I turn to look back at the blonde, I found him in just a towel. My brain short-circuited at the sight of his well-defined- not to mention wet abs.

I quickly stood and turned to him completely, my eyes still locked to his godlike body. And though there were a couple of bruises they weren't as bad as I assumed. "Careful there angel, you're drooling," Erwin teases. Blinking a few times, I force my eyes up, that's when I lifted the bag of clothes.

"What's this?" he asks taking it.

"Pajamas... I-I would like you to stay the night," The roles were reversed now because I was the flustered one and not Erwin. What the hell is that about?!

"Oh, thank you,"

With that, he returned to the bathroom to dress, there I was left letting out a long sigh. Relief flooded over me as the door shut. I don't know how I'll be able to keep this up. Him and his damn teasing...I'm gonna have to get back at him that's for damn sure.

Heading into my room, I used the short time to myself to collect my thoughts and regain some composure. Part of me hated how Erwin affected me, especially when he did things like that, it drove me insane and I'm sure I did the same for him but still it was mind-boggling.

Then, the bathroom door opened again and from across the hall, I could see him. He decided to go without the shirt. Fucking hell man! Forcing a smile, I walk to the doorway to meet him. "I suppose the couch will do-"

Two can play at this game mister. "Nope, we'll share the bed. There is no way I'd let you mess your back up on that couch," I quickly interrupt. At the time I was only thinking to make him flustered again but to my surprise, he seemed calm. It was as if he knew I was trying to tease him. I turn to look at the clock beside my bed and saw how late it was getting. As much as I'd like to continue, I was getting tired.

So climbing to my side of the bed, I watched Erwin walk around and join me. With all his weight on the bed, it caused my body to slide closer to him until I felt his chest on my back.

~Erwin~

The way her body fit so perfectly against mine made it easy to relax. My arm wrapped around her body protectively as I pulled her in closer. That's when I felt her grab my hand and pull it up towards her face. There she tilted her head down slightly resting her lips on my bruised knuckles. I watched as she did this leaving gentle kisses along my skin.

It was in that moment I knew what I really was fighting for. It wasn't just to find Mike's killer- although it was part of the reason. But the other, most important, was so I could have more moments like this with (Y/N). In the short time, I've gotten to know her, I've fallen so hard- so deeply. After Mike died I felt useless- felt as though everyone was better off if I didn't exist.

Smiling to myself, I nuzzle into the back of (Y/N)'s head, the scent of her sweet shampoo made me feel even more relaxed. And the warmth we shared under the covers began to lull me to sleep. And for once I knew I'd have a good night's rest, safe in the arms of this incredible angel. 

═════ ⚖ ═════