2

Chapter 2: The New Case

═════ ⚖ ═════

  ~Erwin~

I sat at my desk feeling exhausted, paperwork was kicking my ass, but that was the task at hand and had been for the past few weeks. The chief assigned me to desk work after having lost a partner and close friend. I was in no mood to take on new cases, not right now. Or so I thought.

A folder fell onto my desk with a loud thud, it looked heavy. Must be a big case...I used to like those. "Need them put up?" I ask.

The man before shook his head. Chief Ackerman, had been stationed at our precinct for two years now, after resigning from the Curtis family, same as me. He was a hard ass, but good at what he did, that was the only reason I came here to work for him. Or at least that what he knew. His arms were crossed as he stood tall, "Got you a new case," he says.

I shake my head as I look at the tab, then pushing it away from me I glance back up at the old man. "No thanks, I can't right now," I mutter.

"Erwin, it's been almost a month since the passing of Mike. I can't keep one of my best detectives on desk duty. Besides right now it's undercover, you are to look after a girl we believe will be the next victim. Plus if you really don't want to do this alone we can assign Levi as your new par-"

"No- no new partners," I interrupt.

"Okay but still, I want you to take this case."

Finally opening the file there was a picture of a blonde man with glasses at the very top of the pile. "Zeke Jaeger, CEO of Jaeger Enterprise, he's our number one suspect for a rather large human trafficking ring. We suspect he's been hiring people to kidnap women. We don't have definitive evidence that he is running it but we'd like you to keep an eye on him while also protecting," Kenny trails off as I pull the picture of the girl out from under Zeke's picture.

She was rather photogenic, almost angelic. "(Y/N) (L/N), she works with event planners, basically works around Zeke's schedule. We want you to become her intern because they are hiring for that position. Then that way you'll be able to watch Zeke and protect her,"

"Has Zeke shown any signs that he's going after her next?" I ask.

"I've questioned some of his employees, and they've said that he has taken a lot of interest in Miss (L/N) since he promoted her," Kenny answers.

I let out a sigh and close the folder, "I don't know chief,"

"Please Erwin, you can't let the death of your comrade keep you from doing your job, I know it sucks but I'm sure Mike wouldn't want you moping around doing paperwork all day," Kenny mutters.

I couldn't say no now, because he had a point, a valid one. Letting out another sigh, my hands run down my face, "Fine,"

"Good, you start today, I already set up your schedule for an interview. You leave in an hour," he says, then leaning over my desk he hands me my gun. After he left, I began going through the folder and familiarized myself with the information inside.

(Y/N) (L/N), she was 25 and had been working at Jaeger Enterprise for about three years now. She was promoted a few months back, she used to work in a cubical but now was basically Zeke's assistant when his brother Eren wasn't around.

Flipping through the pages I got to know this woman, it wasn't my first case where I had to multitask but it had been a while. I glance up at the clock finding the time winding closer to my interview. I shut the folder and stick it into my bag for safekeeping. Maybe I'll go home drop this off and change.

I didn't want to admit it, and it didn't feel right at first, but I couldn't wait to get started.  

═════ ⚖ ═════