57

Chapter 57: New Opportunities

═════ ⚖ ═════

~Erwin~

The month was coming to an end as I finally was able to go back to work. Upon entering the precinct, I had been immediately called to Kenny's office. Another case already? But it's my first day back surely he can't be assigning me stuff already. Letting out a sigh, I made my way to his office, once inside I found Levi with his luggage standing beside his uncle.

To my surprise, the office looked cleaner than usual and it was already fairly clean, but now it just looked almost empty. What's going on? "Kenny, what's going on?" I question.

"I'm steppin' down. And I'm handing over things...to you," he explains briefly. I stood there dumbfounded by his words. Me? What makes him think I could run this place?

"W-what?"

"I've made my decision, besides I'm only getting older- I can't tag along on these missions like I used to, so I'm leaving with Levi to Emerside to retire, maybe pick up a job that's not so taxing, and besides this place needs a leader like you Erwin, you're determined and willing to take risks no one else will," he continues.

It felt weird hearing him say all of this, I didn't want to believe he was genuine about this. Alright, where are the cameras this has to be a prank! I was about to start laughing, "I'm serious Erwin, even Mike before he passed thought it should be you to run this place, he even wrote a letter of recommendation." Then slapping down an envelope, I step up to the front of his desk, tempted to look inside, but I wasn't ready. "Not to mention you got your ass beat, so you deserve this position," he then adds which I turned and glared at him.

I didn't really have the choice to turn him down, because if I refused who would take his place? He trusted me to become chief, but could I trust myself to do this job as good as him? "Are you sure about this Kenny? Because if there are any others you would rather have then-"

"I'm completely sure Erwin, there are no others I want for this position,"

"Alright," I can't promise I won't make mistakes, but I'll do my best for them. And for Mike.

~(Y/N)~

I met with Erwin after his shift, I didn't have a whole lot going on since I was now looking for a new job. I did have an interview which I think went rather well. Standing outside, I watched as my blonde lover dashed down the stairs. He greeted me with a short kiss, we turned and began walking off, along the way I felt a small sharp pain in my ankle where I was shot, but it wasn't enough to make me stop like before. I knew it would still hurt from time to time, but it clearly still worried Erwin. "You okay?" he asks.

Laughing I nod and take his hand, "Don't worry, anyway how was work?"

"It was good, got a promotion I guess," he says nonchalantly.

"Oh?" I wonder, he glances down at me then timidly smiles.

"Yeah, uh Kenny is leaving with Levi to Emerside so... he's making me chief,"

Shocked, I turn and hug the man I was happy for him, his arm wrapped around me holding me tightly so I could barely move. "Could you possibly celebrate when we're in private please?" he asks sweetly. Giggling I nod and shake my head. He's still shy as ever.

"Still that's amazing Erwin, and tonight on our date it can also count as celebrating your promotion!" I suggest.

As we continued to walk, now with me in his arms, the blonde turns and kisses my forehead. "Thank you," was all he said as we continued to walk to my apartment. We had been through a lot even in these past few weeks of recovering. Erwin had been with me through it all.

~Flashback~

At the rehabilitation gym, I worked on moving around again, having been off of my feet for weeks I had grown used to only sitting up. In the beginning, the nurses had me slowly getting out of bed to stand up, then it would be back in bed. But as the weeks progressed, my exercises extended from standing to slowly walk across a room. Now I was in their gym on a treadmill, walking fast even putting more pressure on the leg that was shot.

While in there though, I turn to find Levi standing in the doorway, to his left was the men's bathroom which Erwin was currently in. Shutting the machine off, I slowly make my way over to the short man. He was on the phone.

He fell silent for a moment. "Yeah? How is she?" he asks.

I wonder who he's talking to. I got closer and decided to also wait for Erwin. I leaned against the opposite wall which seemed dumb at the time because now we were blocking the exit. I thought about moving but a sharp pain ran up my leg.

"Why is that? She knows I'd never hurt her," he says.

Now I was confused, who wasn't he hurting? Erwin then came out of the bathroom, his shirt now off. I almost forgot about Levi's weird phone call, that was until he started ending it.

"No need," he says.

He paused and I could hear the other person talking a little bit but it wasn't anything I could understand. Maybe it's his girlfriend or mother? Erwin and I both watched him to which seemed to make the short grumpy man confused as he eyed us both.

"You'll see," he says. As he hung up he looked at us both again, "What? You both look like idiots," I shrug and turn to start heading back into the gym but had to ask.

"Who were you talkin' to?"

"My cousin, why?"

I shrug again and slowly make my way to the treadmill, I planned to go slower this time and give myself a little break from jogging. Erwin was at my side keeping an eye on my heart rate even though I could see for myself on the screen. I guess he also wanted to make sure I wouldn't trip. "Let me know if it starts to hurt, Levi's gonna go grab us lunch okay?"

Nodding, I up the speed just a little, "Finally something not from this hospital," I mumble. After working on that machine, I turn to help Erwin, watching over him as he lifted weights. He didn't do anything too heavy, or at least tried not to but when he started bench pressing, Levi had to step in to help pull it back up if he began struggling. It's not that I couldn't lift it, Erwin insisted that Levi should do it so I wouldn't hurt myself.

For once everything seemed to be going back to normal, but there was still plenty of recovery left for us to endure. 

═════ ⚖ ═════