1

Chapter 1: Around the Corner

═════ ⚖ ═════

~(Y/N)~

The rain came pouring down as I walked along the sidewalk. It was dark, the sun had already set and I was alone. I had decided to stay late at work which led me here in this predicament.

My heart raced when hearing the patters of footsteps follow close behind. Picking up the pace, I turned the corner sharply, then turned again as I enter my apartment.

I hid in the lobby behind the desk when my landlord saw me. She could tell how spooked I was and had me sit behind the desk beside her. We waited, wondering if the person following me would enter but as time went on she told me it was safe. I knew I had been followed because they turned every corner I turned, crossed every street I did since leaving work. It was no coincidence.

Still startled by the almost encounter, I slowly stand up and let out a long sigh. "Thanks, Lucinda" I mutter.

"No problem seems to be getting worse out there. Did you hear on 7th a woman went missing?" she asks.

"Yeah, it's been all over the news. Work even posted some missing flyers on the bulletin board," I explain.

Lucinda shook her head, displeased by all that was going on. "Truly a scary world we're living in, I would suggest walking home with someone if this keeps up, or not staying so late,"

"I know, I know, thanks again, and have a good night," I say as I begin heading towards the stairs. Beginning to feel a little better as I slowly ascended the stairs, I didn't bother to look down. Once I was in my apartment I locked the doors and flicked the lights on.

Thankfully the apartment was the way I left it, then a soft 'mew' resonated from my right causing me to look down. My orange tabby named Mango was rubbing against my leg. "Hey girl, how was your day?" I whisper, falling to my knees, I scratch the spot under her chin, she begins to purr softly as she continued receiving affection.

Sighing I lean against my door now letting the exhaustion get to me. I need a vacation soon. Tossing my bag to the side I slowly start to get back up and walk over to the kitchen. I made myself a small dinner before getting ready for bed about an hour later.

But before I got into bed, I decided to go look out my window at the city. San Ascord didn't use to be this sketchy, but since building the harbor a few years back, drug cartels and traffickers started bringing things in and crime rates started to rise as the city became more populated.

So now, the city rang with police sirens, but I've gotten used to it. Although tonight was the first night I had ever been followed, I was careful before. I never usually went home this late and if I did I was usually with a friend but tonight...was the one night I shouldn't have walked home alone.

~Time Skip~

The next morning I heard the sounds of people shouting from my window. Not to mention my alarm clock had been going off as well. Sitting up in my bed, I rub my eyes then slowly slip out of bed.

Preparing for another day of work, I had my tv on in the background. While brushing my teeth I turn to watch the news; the title read 'Another Woman goes Missing'. I watched as they explained the situation and the family talked about their child.

Once I had finished I shut my tv off and prepare to leave. Once exiting my building I had to weave through the crowd of reporters and random citizens. But after catching a glimpse of one of the reporters I found that it was the same one on my TV.

I would've been able to tell where they were if I could see the background but they were surrounded by people. I wonder if it's one of the girls within my building. I raise my hand trying to flag down a cab to head to work but none seemed to be available.

I stood there for a good few minutes and nearly gave up until a black car came pulling up. The back passenger window rolled down and there I saw my blonde cocky boss. Zeke Jaeger.

"Hey gorgeous, need a ride?" he asks. 

═════ ⚖ ═════