Happily Ever After

CORA

I take a shaky breath in as I look out the window. It's a gorgeous day. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. I'm nervous and it's ridiculous to be this anxious. I desperately needed some alone time to sit with my thoughts, so I chased everyone out. I can still hear the excitement drifting in from the other room. Now that I'm alone, I kind of wish I wasn't anymore. The silence I thought I needed doesn't seem to be helping me after all. Just as I'm getting ready to call them back, there's a soft knock at the door.

"Is it safe to enter," my dad calls from the other side.

"Yes," I sigh out. My dad is exactly the person I need right now. He's been so busy in the kitchen that I haven't seen him all day.

He steps through the door with a huge goofy smile on his face. In an instant, it falls and tears spring from his eyes. "Wow," he mumbles. He begins laughing at himself as he wipes his tears away. "I knew I'd be emotional, but I wasn't prepared to see my baby girl as a bride. You look gorgeous, cupcake."

"Thanks daddy. Stop crying though or you'll have me crying. Lottie told me I couldn't cry." I fan my eyes so my tears don't fall.

"Sorry." He begins hopping around and doing a funny dance, pulling laughter from me. "Better?" His limbs are flying everywhere and he looks ridiculous.

I nod. "I'm glad you're here. I'm nervous."

He walks over and gives me a hug. "You sure you want to do this? There's still time to escape if you want."

I giggle at him. "More than sure."

"Oh thank God," he dramatically says. "I kinda like Eli. I'd cry if you didn't marry him."

"Kinda like him? You two are inseparable. He might be stealing Junno's bestie title." It's true. It was already evident that dad liked Elliot, but after we became engaged, they've gotten really close. It's crazy how close they've actually gotten these last two years. It's not necessarily friendship though. Elliot is already family. I still remember coming home from school one day and hearing my dad's voice. I thought he had made a surprise visit. Nope. Elliot was sitting in the living room, video chatting him. I was shocked. I didn't realize they even talked like that. If we travel to London or my parents visit us, they hang out together. It will mainly be just me and mom because the boys are too busy without us. It makes me happy though.

My dad laughs. "I feel very blessed that I love the guy my daughter's marrying. Do you think I'll be just as lucky with the other three?" I love it that dad loves Elliot too.

"It's hard telling," I smile then I remember my nerves again. "Is it normal to be nervous?"

"Absolutely. Even though you love Elliot and you know he's the one, it's still a big step. You're changing your life today. I'd be worried if you weren't a little nervous. I promise that as soon as you get out there and see Elliot, those nerves will disappear."

"Thanks, daddy," I exhale. I hope he's right. I don't want these nerves ruining my entire wedding day.

"I peeked in and checked on the groom before coming up here. He's a bit nervous himself." It does make me feel better to know he's nervous too.

"You checked on him before me? I knew you loved him more," I joke.

"I mean," he shrugs, "I can't help who my favorite is," he winks. "I just knew I wasn't leaving you once I made it in here."

There's another knock on the door before mom steps in. Mom has an emotional smile as she steps into dad's embrace. "Look at our baby, Lass. How is it possible that she's old enough to be doing this? Didn't she just fly out of your vagina and into my hands?"