Trapped

CORA

"Oh you look so beautiful," my grandma gushes as she wipes tears from her eyes. I smile at her but I'm a little nervous. The last time I dressed up like this, it was prom and the night ended really bad. I'm with Elliot though. Nothing like that will happen. I can't believe that putting on a fancy dress would trigger me like this.

I thought Elliot was crazy when he asked me to go to his autumn formal with him.

****
"Wouldn't you rather go with someone you can get into bed later?" I ask with an elbow jab.

"Why would I want to take some annoying girl when I can take my annoying best friend?"

"Because Paul told me you haven't brought a girl back to the dorm in months. He's worried about you," I laugh.

Elliot rolls his eyes at me. "Just because I don't bed everything that moves like he does. Anyway, since you aren't in college, I thought you might enjoy getting to experience some of the college events. Plus, I seriously will have way more fun with you than some random girl."

"What's an autumn formal anyway?"

"No idea," he chuckles. "Just an excuse to get dressed up, dance and get drunk afterwards."
****

So here I am, standing in a long emerald green gown that is way too sexy for a friendship date, but Ava made me get it. It's a high necked mermaid gown that is so tight. The dress looks like a second skin as it runs down my body and trumpets out at the bottom. Large triangle cutouts skim just to the sides of my breasts and v's in towards my stomach with a small gold sparkle belt. The back is completely open. The tightness and open back make me really uncomfortable. It's all just too much. Ava did my makeup and pinned my curls up. I do feel pretty and I am confident I'll have a lot of fun with Elliot tonight. It's like we're making up for lost time now and our friendship hasn't skipped a beat.

Elliot walks in and I smile as his jaw drops. "Wow, Coco. You look pretty. Didn't know that was possible," he winks.

I roll my eyes. "You clean up surprisingly well too."

He chuckles. "Those bracelets really are your thing."

The room around us grows eerily quiet and I fidget nervously. The bracelets don't match my dress but I don't have a choice. I have to wear them and unfortunately the sleeves stop right above my elbow. "I told you they were my thing. Did you really think I'd take them off just because I slip on a fancy dress?" I roll my eyes at him to try to ease the tension.

"Nope," he chuckles.

I give grandma a big hug and grab my bag. I turn to see Ava whisper something to Elliot and he now has a weird look on his face. I throw Ava a dirty look. What the hell is that about?

"Don't worry," Grandma says. "If your dad calls I'll make sure he knows your staying only with girls." Elliot cracks up. "What? I raised that boy. He'd freak out knowing he'll be there, even if you are only friends."

"Bye grandma," I giggle. I give her a quick hug before Elliot escorts me out of the house and to his car.

As Elliot rounds the car after opening the door for me, I take a moment to check him out. He looks really good in his traditional black tux. Even with the jacket on, his broad shoulders are straining the fabric. I'm really enjoying his longer hairstyle that he has perfectly tussled to the side. I've never seen him this dressed up before. The closest was when we were ten. My parents threw a big party on Easter Sunday and Elliot showed up wearing suspenders and a bow tie with Easter eggs on it. I gave him a hard time for the outfit that his mom clearly made him wear, but I remember thinking how cute he looked.