Unexpected Call

CORA

I wake up to a cold bed and the sadness of that attacks me. I really needed Elliot to be holding me still. Last night was weird. I hated that weirdness and I needed reassured that things were back to normal this morning. It was such an amazing night beforehand. Elliot went above and beyond. I was so impressed and proud of everything he did for me. I wasn't expecting any of it... Then he proposed. My heart flips as I remember him saying those words. It was shocking but it was also sweet, romantic, and cute. I wanted to say yes, but I'm not ready. We're not ready. We've hardly been together as a couple. We need to experience this stage of our relationship. I ruined our night by saying no though, and I hate that.

I hear the shower running. I close my eyes and I can just imagine his glorious body with the water running down it. Why didn't he invite me to shower with him? Are we not going to do bits at all now? I groan with sexual frustration. I've been counting down the days until this weekend. It's not like I need sex and bits with him. Our relationship is more than that. The buildup was so high though and now I'm frustrated. I need one of the mind blowing orgasms that he gives me.

My phone goes off and I sit up to grab it. I look down at Elliot's tshirt that is covering my body and sigh. I didn't get to use either of my lingerie. It didn't feel appropriate. We didn't even sleep naked. We did that in the Bahamas, but now we can't? These worries are scaring me. My phone goes off again. It's an unknown number. I hesitate briefly before deciding to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Cora McKenzie?"

"Yes."

"Happy to be home?"

"Huh?"

"I can't believe you were right in front of our eyes this entire time and we all missed it."

"Excuse me, who are you?"

"Who I am to you depends on what you choose to do exactly, CoCo."

My heart stills in my chest and a cold sweat forms along my hairline. "I'm sorry, but you're mistaken."

"Guarantee I'm not," he chuckles. "I have my full article written out already. It's good too. Damn good. I have photo analysis' comparing you to CoCo's photographs. I have proof of Ava's close relationship to your family and that you traveled with her. All it took was seeing you with your sisters for me to realize."

Fear and anger are mingling together in the pit of my stomach. "What do you want?" I hiss.

"What I don't know is why you were reported missing. I know there's a story there and I want it."

"There's no story," I say with my voice breaking in fear. He ignores me.

"I can release my story now, how it is, or you can work with me. Give me the interview. Dig deep. Why were you missing? Why did you keep CoCo anonymous? Why hide? Why do you not have a social media presence? Where have you been the last, oh I don't know, almost decade of your life?" I'm frozen with fear. If he digs deeper, what will he find? "Cora, what are you going to do?"

My eyes fly to the bathroom as I hear the door open. Elliot walks out surrounded in steam with a towel wrapped low around his waist. If I wasn't freaking out, I'd be drooling over how hot he looks. He throws me a smile but that soon falls as he picks up my frown. He sits next to me with concern creeping into his eyes.

"Can I think about it?"

"You have twenty four hours then it goes to press. Choose wisely." Shit. I quickly end the call. What am I suppose to do? My hands are trembling with fear.

"What's wrong, Cora?" Elliot pulls me into a hug and I melt. This shit with the reporter and my worries about what happened last night has me feeling like I'm about to fall apart. I need him right now.