Our Hidden Tree

ELLIOT

I'm up before sunrise, knowing Bobby wakes up this early. He looks surprised to see me when he walks into the kitchen. I hand him a cuppa. "Thanks." He takes a sip and eyeballs me. "Everything alright?"

"Yes and no." I couldn't sleep last night. I was haunted by what Bradley the jackass said to me and I'm not sure what to do. He sits down next to me and doesn't say anything. He just waits for me to continue. "First off, Bradley is a dick."

Bobby's eyes shoot up in surprise. "Really? I only met him for a few minutes, but he seemed like a nice guy." I don't know why, but it bothers me to know that Bobby liked him.

"He definitely wanted to cause trouble last night"

Bobby looks concerned now. "You guys good?"

"Me and Cora? Yeah."

"Alright. So what's bothering you so much besides Bradley being a dick?"

"It's something he mentioned about Cora. He said her dream proposal is in Paris. I hate that he knew that and I didn't. I don't know what to do now."

"Was he telling the truth?"

I shrug. "No idea. I've heard Cora talk about wanting to see the Eiffel Tower a lot. It's possible."

"That's true. I do know it's a place she really wants to go."

"I want to give her her dream proposal. I can't fly us to Paris."

"Maybe you can't, but I can." Bobby is almost bursting with excitement all of a sudden. "I can call the pilot and have you guys out of here this afternoon." He reaches for his phone.

"Bobby. Stop. I appreciate it but I can't let you do this. This is my proposal. I can't let you make her dreams come true. It needs to be me."

His excitement quickly fades. "Alright. What are you going to do then?"

"What if I bring Paris here?" Bobby looks excited again at my suggestion.

"First thing is you'll need French food for dinner now."

"That's what I was thinking too. Instead of a picnic, I want a table with a white linen cloth set up."

"Perfect. I can bake you baguettes, which is a French must. For dessert, how about... Paris Brest. That's a classic French dessert that you have to eat when in Paris."

"And you're going to bake those for us? It sounds perfect."

"Of course I am. Only the best for my baby girl. The food in Paris is an experience in itself. Le Gravroche's in town has excellent French cuisine. I would suggest them. They don't do carry out but I know the head chef. I can give him a call if you'd like."

"Seriously?" I can't believe he's able to make all this come to life for us.

"Absolutely. He's a friend. We'll fight over the baguettes," he chuckles.

"So we have food covered. I really need the Eiffel Tower. I looked online and I can buy a statue like thing but it obviously wouldn't be here in time." Bobby's brows furrow as we both sit in silence trying to figure this one out. "What if I get a large backdrop or something? I don't want it to be corny or anything."

"That's a good idea actually. I know this girl who prints backdrops. She might have an Eiffel Tower one already. They're used for model photoshoots and theater productions. Jessa knows her better. I'll have her check with her."

"Wow. I am so lucky to have you in my corner," I chuckle. "Thank you. I'm going to have lots of twinkle lights. I'm changing the music to classical French violin."