Long Distance Sucks

ELLIOT

My smile is huge when I first spot her. Cora squeals as she runs through the airport and flings herself into my arms. I hug her tight and pull her into a kiss. I've missed her so much, it's been driving me crazy. I can't stand to be away from her. "I'm so happy your dad let you come."

"Me too. I've missed you," she says before kissing me again. 

I reluctantly put her down and grab her carry on for her. "Starving?" She nods so I drive us to a small sandwich cafe. We sit down next to the window and I can't stop staring at her. "God you're beautiful."

A small blush creeps across her cheeks. She gives me a grin and bites her lower lip. "Thanks. I hate not being with you."

"I know. This has sucked." I haven't seen her these last two weeks. It's been miserably hard. I hate the long distance. I want her with me all the time. I don't like that I can't see her or hug her or kiss her anytime I want. We've been texting, talking, and video chatting nonstop. Still, it's not the same as when she's actually here.

"Some good news though, I've turned in my application for the University of Glasgow. Now we just pray I get in."

I chuckle. "Of course you're getting in. You were valedictorian. If I can get in, they won't hesitate letting you in. Still planning on psychiatry?"

"Yeah. I think so. The more I've thought on it, the more it feels right. Helping people is what I've always wanted to do. After what I've been through, I understand so well how hard dealing with mental health can be. I want to help. I need to help."

"You'll be amazing, baby. I've decided a major too."

"Finally?" She asks with a laugh.

It's been something I've struggled with. Besides the band and football, I don't know what interests me. Neither of those will work as a career though. Regardless of how much dad harps on me, I'm just not interested in the cranes. "Physiotherapy, with a focus on sports."

"That's perfect for you! Maybe you'll get hired by a big team or something."

"Man. That would be amazing. Look at us being all adult like!" She giggles at me and it's seriously the most beautiful sound there is.

"Yep. So we just need to make it through these next seven months then we'll be together all the time."

I reach for her hand and caress her knuckles with my thumb. "I can't wait. Your birthday is almost 2 months away. Anything special you're wanting to do? A party? Maybe a trip?"

"There is no way my dad will let me be anywhere but home for my birthday. I'll beg him to let you come though. I refuse to turn 19 without you there with me."

"Good. Even if he says no, I'll still fly out to London. I'm not missing it either."

"Maybe we'll get to spend more time together this summer too."

"Oh! I can't believe I forgot to tell you! I've been waiting until you got here and it slipped my mind," I laugh at myself. "The band's going on tour this summer!"

"Wait! What? Seriously?" She asks with surprise.

"Yep. Steven's uncle bought an old bus that he's fixing up for his family. It's a little rough, but all the mechanical parts have been replaced. He's letting us use it this summer."

"Wow! That's so exciting!"

"I know. Ross has been booking us shows all across the UK." I grab my phone and open our social media page. "We're really gaining popularity. It's crazy."

"Oh my god, Eli! This is amazing! How long is the tour lasting?"

"Well, it's exciting but it sucks at the same time." I know she's going to be disappointed with this detail. "Our first gig is June 11th and we tour until August 13th."

"The whole summer? You'll be on the road the entire time?" I watch as her face falls to disappointment. I get it. I'm excited but also disappointed. Touring all summer means missing out on time with her.

"Yeah. I'm looking forward to it, but it sucks we won't be together. Maybe your dad will let you come with us for a bit." I know that is a long shot, but it's worth asking.

By the way Cora's face falls, I can tell she's doubtful she'll be able to. "You know my dad. First off he won't like me traveling on a bus with only boys. Then he won't like that family isn't around to keep an eye on my mental health." I watch a tear sneak down her face. Shit. Why is she crying? Her tears tug at my heart.

"Hey, baby." I move to her side of the booth and wrap my arms around her. "Why are you crying?"

"No idea. I'm an emotional mess. Everything makes me cry these days. I just hate the thought of not being with you." I wipe her tears with my thumbs. "I'm going to try though. Maybe if he keeps seeing how good I'm doing, he'll have no reason to say no. I'll be 19 by then." Technically her dad doesn't have a say in what she does, but there's no way Cora will go against him. She couldn't stand his disappointment.

"We can only hope," I say as I give her a small kiss. "You'll be the hottest groupie there is."

With that, she lets out her beautiful laugh. "I better be the only groupie you have."

"Well, I can't make any promises about that. I am a stud after all, but you're the only one welcomed in my bed." Her face heats crimson red and I chuckle. I want to take it slow with her, but I'm not ashamed to drop hints of where my interest lies. I want her. Bad. When she was here for the week after New Years, it was so hard to keep things calm when our passion is strong and waiting to pounce. Making out and grabbing her butt is as far as I made it. It was amazing too. I wouldn't change anything from that visit.

"Elliot," she giggles and buries her face against my arm.

I pull my food to this side of the table and continue eating, sitting next to her. "What are your plans while I'm in school this week?"

"I'm hanging out with Grandma and Ava. I also told Liz I'd help at the bakery."

"Perfect. I get you every night though. Even if I have exams or projects due. You can sit on my lap while I study."

"Right. I'm sure you'll get work done that way."

"Hey, you were valedictorian. I'm pretty sure just being with you allows me to suck up your brain powers."

"I'm not sure that works, but maybe this does." She wraps her hand around my neck and pulls me down to meet her lips. Our tongues dance together as I wrap my arm around her slender waist and pull her closer.

"Good thinking. I can suck your brain out through your mouth. We better do this all week just to be sure." My kiss silences her giggle.