Recoupling: the party's over

Bruno sat at the firepit with Jas huddled into his side. Their hands were linked, both nervously fidgeting.

He had to say something. Anything . He just didn't... he wasn't ...

Fuck it .

"Jas, baby." he leant down, whispering in her ear. "Whatever happens, I want you to remember. My heart belongs to you. I will wait for you until we can be a couple again. For as long as it takes, until you tell me that that isn't what you want."

She looked at him, a little teary, and brought her lips to his cheek, whispering back.

"I'm waiting for you, too. Even if we get separated. I'll find my way back to you. I promise."

He lifted her hand and pressed his lips to her knuckles.

"I'll hold you to that"

She smiled, "Good, I hope you do."

"Good"

"Great"

"Cool"

"Mint"

They smiled at each other. Bruno's heart felt so warm and full.

But then it emptied as Tom's phone chimed.

He stood, looking around at the islanders, a little nervous.

"Oh, right. I'm first then. Um. So"

He took a deep breath. Then, sounding far more confident, he spoke.

"I want to couple up with this person because they make me feel like I do on the first day of a summer holiday. Excited. Optimistic. Refreshed. But Not only that, I want to couple up with them because I feel like they are the total package. They're everything I've been looking for... and I can't let anything... or anyone ... get in the way of that."

Bruno's heart sank. He flashed his eyes to Jas. He could feel his forehead creasing with worry. A hushed gasp travelled around the circle in a wave.

"So the person I'd like to couple up with is the beautiful Jasmine"

He felt like his ass was going to fall out of his chest. Or his leg was going to come out of his throat. Or.. stomach was going to come flying out his ear. Whatever the feeling was, it sucked .

His ears were useless anyway, they were too full of the sound of the other islanders losing their shit .

"What!?"

"Seriously?!"

"What the fuck!?!"

Bruno noticed, suddenly. That Jas hadn't moved.

She crossed her arms.

"I'm not going anywhere," she growled, angrily.

Bruno looked at her, raising his eyebrows.

"No. I just realised how fucked this all is. How come I don't get a say in it?"

Bruno couldn't help but laugh a little.

That's my fiery girl . You tell 'em babe.

Her phone buzzed.

He saw the screen

Jasmine, please go and stand with Tom.

"No. Fuck that. I'm not going."

Her phone buzzed again.