39 Parental Date (3/3)

Lazuli happened upon the Apple family's stand during her search for Loving Bud. She was drawn to the famous apple cider Bud had shared with her back when they lived at Baltimare. Bud had smuggled a few pints from her mother's fridge to offer Lazuli at their greenhouse. Lazuli shook at the bitter taste of the cider. Her wings shuddered outwardly at its savory sweetness.

Lazuli would have ventured to grab a fill of her own at Ponyville, however, she did not feel the rest of her family would be as forgiving as Loving Hope. Bud hinted at their stern and abrasive nature from her stories. There was no way they would hold themselves back against a pony that used to be the bully of their precious sister.

So, Lazuli tried to avoid Ponyville whenever possible. At least until Lazuli found Bud with twins and needing aid during her trip to Ponyville. Lazuli would have preferred to remain anonymous to Bud's jovially proclaimed sisters, but she knew the inevitable was to come.

Well, at least she wasn't greeted with a sock on her snout.

"One cup will do," Lazuli requested. Nebula nestled on Lazuli's back, her head peeked aside Lazuli's neck.

"Now look who came crawling back to Ponyville," Pear said. "Did the big city had ya miss the countryside?"

"Maybe," Lazuli shrugged, "Tall buildings and bustling roads can get stale if you can believe it. Though it'd be a lot more exciting if could keep Bud's attention for more than five minutes."

"It's that Hawk fellow, isn't it?" Pear fixed a cup of apple cider for Lazuli. The awe glistening in the pegasi's eye beheld upon the Apple family's pride and joy left a smile on Pear's face. "I can't say I'm surprised. Bud always had a knack for helping folks with family problems. I once found her boldly standing up to Granny Smith when Bright and I wanted to Rainbow Falls for our honeymoon."

"After your marriage? What sense does that make?"

"Well, Granny Smith thought it'd be good for us to spend our honeymoon at Dodge City around her relatives. I think she wanted Bright to show off her wife to the others."

"Never figured her a showboater."

"Can we cease with this dribble now!?" Nebula shouted. Her voice rung close to Lazuli's ear.

"And how is my cute rabid niece?" Pear cooed and reached her hoof out to rub on Nebula's cheek. The filly shuddered at the mare's action, debating between biting or lunging for a kick until the pure scent of apples on Pear's hoof snatched her attention. Her snout huffed wildly upon Pear's hoof like a curious dog.

"You're pretty bold yourself," Lazuli commented. "Many ponies have a mark on their body for doing that."

"You will never find me fighting with Granny Smith," Pear chuckled. "Not even Bright is crazy enough to try that. My hubby is strong, but Granny Smith can have him quaking like a scared colt if she wanted to."

"Now that I find hard to believe."

"I'd never lie about that. Bud has a lot of courage than folks give her credit for."

"I know she has it in her. I just wish I could see it again today." Especially today.

"You just have to give her time to work things out for Hawk," Pear advised. "I'm sure she's thinking really hard about y'all's bond. Though, it would be nice to give her a little push."

"...You too, huh? Jeez, is it that obvious to everypony?"

Lazuli moved to a hilltop where she savored the thickly fresh taste of her apple cider. Any space would have done well for her, but Nebula distinctly demanded the hilltop with trees to hide from the sun.