A Bad Feeling About This

The next day Sky didn't feel like a phoenix. She felt like a pigeon that had been hit by a garbage truck.

She felt like shit - feverish and aching all over and she barely managed to get out of the bed. When she undressed her nightshirt, she cried out with pain - the fabric had gotten stuck to the tattoo, and even if she peeled the shirt off as gently as she could, it still felt like flaying off the skin.

"Crap," she muttered when taking a look at her shoulder.

This was her first tattoo, but she was pretty sure it shouldn't look like this. The whole area was red and swollen and leaking blood and other fluids.

Dad was not happy.

"How could you be so stupid?" He asked angrily when he was driving her home from the doctor's appointment. "Didn't you get any after-care instructions?"

"I did," Sky replied, feeling utterly rotten. The doctor had ordered antibiotics, but even if she had taken the first dose already, she knew it would take some time before she'd feel any better.

"Then why didn't you follow them?"

Sky looked at her hands which were folded on her lap. "Because Sensei said he'd kick me out of the team if I didn't do my part."

Dad glanced at her with an angry frown. "What does that even mean? Do your part in what?"

"We had this thing–" Sky started telling - but at the last moment she remembered Sensei had told them not to tell their parents about the cement truck. "This... outdoors exercise. You know, building team spirit."

Dad gave a dissatisfied grunt. "As much as I support you doing karate, I think this is too much. Did you tell Sensei Lawrence about the tattoo?"

"Yeah."

"And he still forced you to participate?"

"It's not like he forced me," Sky muttered, which was technically true. Sensei had let her take a break. It had been Kreese to convince her she had to do her part.

"You just said he threatened to kick you out of the team." Dad stated.

"That was just talk. You know how he is."

"No, actually I don't know." Dad said. He parked the car in front of their home and turned to look at Sky with a frown. "I think it's high time I had a word with him."

That thought was utterly mortifying. Sky felt like she could puke.

Dad wasn't an overprotective ass like some fathers. He was usually pretty chill, and Sky had always been more or less free to do what she liked. Dad had never tried to ban things from her - she had always been free to listen to whatever music she liked, to dress the way she liked, to pick any hobby that made her happy, and so on - as long as she stayed safe.

But if Sky got hurt - Dad turned into a lion.

She recognized that look in his eyes now, and knew it was futile to argue. She wasn't the only stubborn one in this family. If Dad wanted to have a word with Sensei, he would - and Sky could only hope it wouldn't end with bloodshed.

Still, she tried. "Dad, please. It's not Sensei's fault that I'm an idiot."

"No, but he is the adult and he should have acted like one," Dad said, his strong hands still gripping the steering wheel even if the car was stopped. "Now, go inside, take your meds and try to rest. I'll be home soon."

With a sour face and a somber spirit, Sky stepped out of the car and watched Dad drive away, before pulling her phone from her pocket and calling Hawk.