No More Lies

Hawk lay on his bed, one arm behind his neck. He had just showered and was still shirtless, wearing only  sweats and socks. The wet strands of his hair fell to his forehead, and he was beginning to feel cold, but he barely noticed. He kept staring at his phone.

He knew he should have called Sky. He knew he should have just come clean with what had happened and apologized - but he just couldn't get it done. How the Hell was he going to even start that conversation? Hi babe, I just happened to brag to my friends about banging you today, hope you don't mind, I'm really sorry btw.

No. Just no.

He rolled his eyes at his thoughts and let out a frustrated groan.

Maybe he was overthinking this. Maybe Sky would never find out and he was freaking out over nothing.

But... Demetri's words kept playing on repeat in his ears. Just wondering what Sky would think if she knew. Those words were a threat. That fucking nerd had the nerve to threaten him—

He should have just beaten Demetri up, right there in the parking lot. Beat him up so badly that he would have been too fucking scared to talk. Because Hawk had a bad feeling that Demetri wasn't as scared of him as he should have been, that he didn't really believe that Hawk would fucking kill him if he talked.

But even if Demetri kept his mouth shut, there were still other ways this thing could backfire. What if Assface and Rickenberger couldn't keep quiet? What if they started talking about this in school, and Sky overheard them?

Hawk let out a desperate groan. That would be even worse than Sky finding out from Demetri.

Shit. I should just call her and tell her I fucked up. If she hears it from me instead of someone else, it might not be that bad—

The phone in his fingers started ringing, and Hawk's heart jumped to his throat, almost choking him.

"Hi babe—" he breathed, bringing the phone to his ear. "What's up?"

"You're gonna act like nothing happened?"

He could hear that she'd been crying, and that made him feel awful. It brought a bad taste to his lips, and he swallowed hard, trying to repel it. It was clear to him now, that lying was out of option - it was too late for that.

"Demetri told you, huh?"

"Yes, he did," Sky replied, her voice thick and wet with tears. "What the fuck, Hawk?"

"Shit. It's not like that. Demetri's fucking overreacting. He's trying to turn you against me," Hawk groaned and sat up, throwing his legs over the edge of the bed.

"This so isn't about Demetri. This is about us."

"Yeah, I know—"

"And don't tell me he's overreacting. I wanna know what happened. Who were you talking to? And what did you tell those assholes?"

"Just Assface and Rickenberger. And I told them nothing! Okay? Nothing that matters! I didn't even tell them it was you."

A short silence followed his outburst. He ran a hand through his hair which was still wet after the shower, as he leaned his elbows to his knees. His chest was heaving but still, he felt like he wasn't getting enough air.

"You didn't tell them it was me?"

Christ, there might still be a way out of this mess if I just play my cards right—

"No, I swear. They think it was just some random chick."

Sky let out a sound that could have been a sob or a laugh and Hawk's stomach dropped to his knees. "Is that supposed to make me feel better? That you told them you were banging some random slut in the janitor's closet?"