The End of the F***ing World

By the time they got to the cafeteria, Sky was regretting her decision not to use the wheelchair. It had been only a couple of hallways, and a few minutes in a lift - but it had strained her so that now she had a splitting headache, and her body was weary as if she'd run a marathon.

Hawk was giving her worried glances, when she leaned heavily on his arm, her breathing shallow and fast.

"I don't care what you say, but I'll be taking you back to your room in a wheelchair," he said, as they reached an empty table and Sky slumped into a chair, exhausted and short of breath.

"Just get me a coffee," Sky wheezed. "I'll feel better in a minute."

Hawk didn't look convinced but did as he was told and after making sure that Sky was comfortable in her chair, he went.

Sky took a moment to just catch her breath, her eyes following Hawk as he walked to the counter. In his stylish sweats and a black and yellow hoodie, he looked confident and tough, handsome as Hell. He pushed his hands into his pockets as he took a look at the cakes and other delicacies that were on display,
and that motion made the muscles and tendons in his lean and wiry forearms move under the skin. His brow fell into a gentle frown, and he was so beautiful it took Sky's breath away.

She wrapped her pink hospital robe tighter around her, suddenly feeling feverish. A shiver ran through her spine, but it had nothing to do with the pain in her head and arm. It was the longing she had for him, the yearning she'd been trying to deny for weeks now, that had only been made stronger by their separation.

Sky forced her eyes off him, her cheeks heating, and turned to look out of the window instead, not that there was a lot to look at, just the parking lot, people walking to their cars, or towards the hospital, some carrying flowers or other gifts. Briefly Sky wondered when she would be released. She was tired of being in a hospital, so very tired, and silently she made a vow that when they let her out this time, she wouldn't be coming back. Not if she had any say about it.

"I didn't know what you wanted, so I brought everything," said a voice, and Sky returned to the moment just as a tray was placed on the table in front of her.

"Oh my God," her jaw dropped. She couldn't help a laugh.

The tray was overflowing. There was a huge piece of chocolate cheesecake, another strawberry one, some colorful mini cupcakes, chocolate chip cookies, and even a couple of chocolate bars  - plus a giant latte topped with whipped cream and cinnamon.

For a moment all Sky could do was stare.

"I'll throw up if I eat all this."

"Then eat what you want and leave the rest."

"Or maybe we share?"

A smile tugged at the corner of Hawk's mouth. "Works for me. But you go first."

Sky wasn't going to protest. She was so hungry that her stomach ached. Besides, it was almost lunchtime and she had nothing against replacing lunch with pastries - they sure looked better than the hospital food.

She picked a fork and started eating the chocolate cheesecake - as she knew it would be her favorite. It was delicious, far better than she would have expected as they were still in the hospital. She hummed after the first bite. Even with her nose still bandaged, she enjoyed the sweet, rich taste of the cake, the feeling of chocolate melting in her mouth.

"Good?" Hawk asked, the smile still lingering on his lips.

"So good," Sky replied, licked her lips, and took another bite. "Fucking amazing. Ah,I'm so glad I'm not dead and get to eat this."