Lord of Shadows

Cody Bishop was kissing Sky.

That sight hit Hawk like a punch in the face, and he froze on his feet in the doorway.

Cody's hand was on the small of Sky's back, other on her nape, fingers buried in her hair and he kissed her like a man starved, and all Hawk could think about was—

—I'm going to kill him!

Of course, he knew he had no right. Hell, he had just fucked Maya, he had been balls deep in another girl's cunt not 5 minutes ago, and that act had destroyed every right he had ever had to be jealous of Sky, but—

But everything had changed after that.

That kiss— it had to be fake. It fucking had to be! The look on Sky's face when she had seen Hawk with Maya-- that had been the truth, not this!

Sky still loved him.

How could it be true, he didn't understand, but it was nevertheless. Had he only known that—

Fuck!

He never would have shouted those lies to her that night on the front steps of his house, he never would have slept with Maya, had he known that Sky still loved him.

They would have made up and gotten back together if he only had known—

But she hadn't told him. She had lied. And now, in this crowded kitchen in the middle of this fucking stupid party and the music that was too loud, too violent, Hawk's world was collapsing. It wasn't him who was kissing Sky. It was that fucking arrogant asshole Cody Bishop, and he couldn't take it.

His fist struck Cody on his cheekbone, hard and fast, shoving the boy off Sky and breaking their kiss. Cody's hat flew off his head and spiraled to the floor, he let out a pained groan as the impact threw him against the kitchen countertop.

People shouted and girls screamed, but Hawk had only eyes for Sky, as he turned to face her, his chest heaving with emotion.

"Sky, I—"

But he didn't get to finish that sentence.

Cody's hands slammed hard on Hawk's chest as he violently pushed him back stepping between him and Sky, as if he had any fucking right to do so.

"What the fuck is your problem—?" Cody spat out, his eyes narrowing.

"Step aside, asshole," Hawk replied, barely giving any attention to the other boy. "I want to talk to Sky."

Cody glanced at Sky over his shoulder. "You wanna talk to this guy?"

Sky stood behind Cody, her arms wrapped around her body, tears still running down her face as she shook her head. She wouldn't even look at Hawk, and that felt like a dagger through his breastbone.

"Sky, come on—" he started towards her, but Cody stopped him, grabbing his arm.

"Looks like she doesn't wanna talk to you."

Hawk glared at the shorter boy, anger making his voice crack. "Not your call to make."

"No, it's hers." Cody replied calmly. "Just take the hint and leave."

"Why don't you shut your mouth? This is none of your fucking business!" With that he pushed Cody again, shoving him hard so that he had to take a step back - and Sky too, so that she almost stumbled, her bad leg giving in so that she had to grab the counter to stay on her feet.

"Shit—" Hawk groaned and reached a hand to help her, but Sky kept backing away from him, tears and fear in her eyes, and it was Cody, who stood between them, Cody, who had turned Sky against him, who had waited for this moment when she was weak and upset to lure himself in Sky's heart, to steal her away from Hawk, Cody who had caused her to look at Hawk like this, like she didn't even know who he was anymore, and for that, Hawk would fucking kill that boy.