Chapter 31 - Boulder

Warnings: mentions blood

Another Bonus Chapter

Walking farther up the mountain than ever before. The air is thinner and big snow flakes are falling gracefully.

Only the sound of snow crunching beneath our feet

Only the sound of snow crunching beneath our feet. Following sensei into a big open area with a giant boulder placed in the middle.

It's larger than I remembered

The anime made it appear large

But this is massive

"If both of you can cut this boulder in two. Leaving four solid pieces behind. I will allow you to enter the final selection"

(Note from Author: I hope that makes sense. I suppose there could be two boulders but ... I like this idea better 🤷‍♀️)

Tanjiro is panicking inside. Without another word the older male turn in the direction we came and began walking away.

"Wait... Urokodaki... HANG ON A SECOND! Urokodaki!" Tanjiro shouts after him but sensei doesn't react at all.

Urokodaki walks calming away not looking back.

He will never teach us anything again

With that Tanjiro turns to the boulder very determined lifting his sword in the air and charging forward. Not leaving a single scratch.

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"Where is Tanjiro?"

"He left for training hours ago." Urokodaki says after sipping his tea. You glance out the window in confusion. It's been a month since starting this new challenge.

"But it is just now morning."

"Yes. He left before sunrise." Sensei explains while reaching for more breakfast.

"Have a good day, Sensei!" Giving a quick bow before racing out of the house and up the mountain. Stumbling a little before gaining momentum.

This is the fastest you've ever ran up the mountain. Your body is still adjusting to how thin the air is up here. Finding him kneeling in silence before the boulder.

"Tanjiro-Kun?"

Walking closer to see his hands resting in his lap. Palms facing up with bleeding blisters all over his hands and fingers from over gripping his sword.

"TANJIRO!" Running forward and gently touching his injured hands. "We need to go back down the mountain to treat these wounds."

He turns to look at you with teary eyes.

"I don't know if I will ever be strong enough." His voice sounds shaken.

"You will. Trust me... believe in yourself." Quickly your hands cup his face while your forehead presses against his.

"It's been six months since we begin the boulder test and I am no closer to being a demon slayer. Nezuko still hasn't woken up. You say I can do this... but-"

"Please

"Please... trust me...." Looking into his eyes as you say, "Tanjiro-Kun... soon a new Sensei will come. They are the key to growing stronger."

"Another grouchy old man." Tanjiro jokes.

"Actually..."

He is attractive

"Someone who is close to our age. He has impressive speed and strength."

"I wish training was over... I miss my sister."

"I miss Nezuko-Chan too. We have come so far... I know it hasn't been easy. Please... be gentle with yourself." Looking back down at his hands that will scar.

"I am sorry... I promise. I'll get stronger."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

"Happy Seventeenth Birthday, Tanjiro-Kun!"

Urokodaki and you have put together his favorite feast and dessert to celebrate. Tanjiro gives a big smile but it's clear he is still feeling upset about training.

As if silently telling you he is okay, Tanjiro holds your hand after eating. Before you can say something, Urokodaki speaks.

"Last year I refused to share a story. I apologize. I truly have been grateful having you as students."

Smiling you say, "Aww, you don't have to apologize."

"We are very grateful for you."

"Many years ago I had two students that remind me of you both. They were playful, smart and eager to grow strong. Together they trained the same way on this very mountain. Working hard from dawn to dusk."

"They cared for each other deeply." His voice sounds softer as he looks at Tanjiro's hand wrapped around yours. "Together they got even stronger and passed my training."

"Amazing! Have you heard from them since they became Demon Slayer?" Tanjiro asks with excitement but you squeeze his hand.

"One of the boys is the very man who sent you to me." Urokodaki explains, "Giyuu Tomioka."

A tear rolls past Urokodaki's jaw as he thinks about those two

A tear rolls past Urokodaki's jaw as he thinks about those two. Bowing your head in respect knowing who he is crying for.

"Tanjiro Kamado, Y/N L/N... I wish you the very best in this life. Filled with many years of Birthday celebrations." Urokodaki lifts up his drink. "I am honored to have you as students."

Tanjiro and you lift your drinks and give him big smiles. "Thank you Sensei."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

I adore your comments and votes.⋆⁺₊⋆
☾ Don't forget to add this story to your Reading List if you want notifications whenever I add new chapters.

⋆⁺₊⋆. 𝕋𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜𝕤 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘.

Next Chapter - Sabito arrives
Will be published on Friday 9.9.2022