Chapter 21 - The Cave

Lovely reader,
Last chapter was a rough one... Grab a pillow to squeeze because I think you will enjoy this chapter.
-Author-Chan 🤭

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

"Let's take refuge in here."

Tanjiro tiredly says as the cloudy sky begins to grow darker with night approaching. We have already traveled many miles before reaching this point.

Your eyes widen as you look into the cave remembering this from the anime. Happy to finally get some rest. The three of you sitting down inside the carven.

After lighting a small fire to warm everyone. Tanjiro digs food out of the bag to share. Reaching to hand a piece to Nezuko who merely stares at it.

"She won't eat human food anymore." Looking sadly at him as you explain.

"Oh... what ... what will she eat?"

"Nothing." Choosing not to explain the sleeping aspect of her recovery just yet. Tanjiro seems more anxious but decides to not question it further.

Nezuko's size shrinks as she curls up with her knees to her chest. Sleeping like a small child. Both of you smile at her and Tanjiro gently pats her shoulder.

 "Let's get some rest

"Let's get some rest." Tanjiro says kicking out the fire before laying down several feet away from you. Trying to be respectful.

You sprawl out on the stone ground attempting to get comfortable. Muscles aching from the past twenty-four hours.

"Goodnight Tanjiro-Kun."

"Sleep well, Y/N-Chan."

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

A nightmare of Muzan capturing everyone startles you awake. Panting for air as you realize it was only a dream. Then you notice his checkered green and black haori laying over your body.

Tanjiro?

You look around the cave to find him sleeping in the same spot. At some point in the night he got up and wrapped his Haori over you in an attempt to keep you warm. 

His body is currently trembling and whimpering as a nightmare plagues him. Your chest feels tight seeing him this upset. Sympathizing to the struggle of night terrors.

Crawling over to him as you carefully drape the checkered haori over him and yourself. Laying beside him then softly resting your head against his chest. Gently placing your hand over his heart.

His body stops stirring with your presence. Finally you sigh as your own body and mind feel at peace beside him. Closing your eyes.