27 - Confess Then Depress

Glimmer, Bow and Adora sat around the table.

The three felt awkward just waiting for the host to arrive, so they were greatful when they saw Catra and Maverick approaching.

A moment later, the twins were seated.

‘Hey Adora~ Hows it going?’

Adoras face was a tomato red, like she had been sitting out in the blustery gardens all day.

‘My name is Maverick, call me Mav’ He finger guns, earning a side eye from his sister.

‘Anyways, why don't we show you around?’ Catra says flirtatiously.

‘Stop that thing’ Mav murmurs jokingly, earning an elbow to the ribs from Catra.

A few minutes later, they enter the forest.

Everything seems to be going normal, until a parakeet lands on a boulder in front of them, and they busy themselves with it.

But Catra stood back, as she had noticed a note hidden in the roots of a tree.

It was from C'yra.

The words for simple: “Confess booyah fixed. “

She rolled her eyes as she attempted to dismiss the anxiety bubbling in her gut as she called Adora over and away from the others.

‘Hey Adora…’

‘Yeah? You're acting weird’

‘….’

‘Is something wrong?’

‘Adora….do you remember what I said when you told me you loved me, in Mystacor?’

‘How could I forget’

‘Adora, look, I'm really fricking sorry. Could we please start over with that?’

‘Okay..?’

‘Anyways…so….’

‘Go on..?’

‘I….I love you’

‘I love you too, Catra’

There is an awkward pause, and Adora makes a hesitant step forward.

She places a hand on Catras lower back, and the other cups her head.

The blonde tilts her head down, and presses her lips to Catras.

‘Yo Catra!! Oh….’

They immediately break apart upon being caught.

Glimmer is seething. Bow and Mav are barely concealing their giggles.

‘Welcome to the family, blondie’ Mav snorts.

Catras face flushes scarlet and she looks away, embarrassed.

As Glimmer, Bow and Adora walk on ahead, Mav bumps his shoulder against Catras.

‘Bold move, Miss Elizabeth ‘

‘Whatever, Maverick’

‘Guys!’

The group follow Bow's voice.

But when they find them, Mav and Catra completely freeze.

Bow had stumbled across a demolished town. Save for the half destroyed citadel, the mostly fine Graveyard and the marble statue in the towns centre. The town is in a perfect square, with broken lampposts and ruins of houses.

Catra approaches the statue, and reads the writing on the base.

Her breath hitches.

Empress Cassiopeia and Namir

The statue was of a female magicat, with white robes on, hugging a warrior goddess, Danu, close to her chest.

Catra falters and stumbles away.

She glances over at the graveyard, but decides that the citadel was probably more interesting.

She steps inside, Glimmer at her heels.

--------

She nearly vomited when she saw it.

A perfectly preserved corpse lay in the parlor. The corpse of Claudia.

Catra knew that Adora could not see it. It would be like looking in a mirror to see your own dead body staring back at you.

Claudia had the same golden blonde hair, pale skin and grey-blue eyes as her cousin.

To her own disgust, Catra slowly picked up the body, and slid out into the gardens from the terrace door.

She finds a lush green area, and uses Namir to cut a perfect grave into the ground. Then, she lowers Claudias corpse inside. After she bestowed a blessing for the afterlife.

She refilled the grave, and just as she was re entering the citadel, she bangs into Adora.

Throughout the entire conversation, all Catra can think of is how similiar Adora and Claudia are.

She shudders, and attempts to forget the terrifying mental images of Adora dying. And she swears to prevent that from happening.