S3 - A Stricken Deal

ELISIA'S mainland consisted of huddles of wooden huts and farmland.

Some scattered taverns and markets were relatively busy, the people within them watching Payam lead the two strange guests through the island.

'Avena is a stormstress, keep that in mind, my lady.' Payam explains to Catra.

'Stormstress?' Glimmer looks between the two unbothered magicats.

'Storm Mistress. She is a witch of storms. When she rages, a storm wages. When she strikes, so does her lightning.' Payam rhymes.

'Spooky.' Catra helps.

'Yes, very spooky. Quite spooktacular, if I must.' The two magicats share  amused smirks.

Glimmer is bewildered.

She did not like Payam personally, he felt too mature for his general age group, perhaps even too mature compared to herself and Catra.

It unnerved her.

But Catra seemed to understand something about this but that she different not. The thought made her strangely uneasy.

Catra wouldn't hurt her, would she?

The sensible side of her brain reminded her of the Empress' sacrifice.

But the smaller, quieter side, brought back the past. Catra had attempted many times before to obliterate Etheria and bring harm to the princesses, including herself.

It wouldn't be so far-fetched for Catra to betray her.

And it seemed more than likely that Payam would aid her in such a conquest.

But Catra was the advocate of sunlight. To do something so dark was to betray what she had become, and what she had mended within her. It would tarnish and tear at her soul, even once Etheria was reduced to a mere memory in her abysmal nothing. She would survive even if Etheria did not. She would thrive while others burned alive.

Glimmer shuddered.

She looked at Catra now.

Chestnut brown hair braided over her shoulder. Golden skin glowing majestically in the setting light of the sun. Her eyes kind and luminous. And her lips pulled into a wide grin as Payam told her a rather culturally targeted joke, to which she definitely found amusing. Although Glimmer didn't get it.

Without warning, Catra and Payam halted. And Glimmer walked right into them.

'Easy, Sparkles.' Catra helped her find her footing once more.

'Why did we....' The princess of Brightmoon trails off as she gazes at the large, circular hut that seemed quite enlarged compared to any of the ones they had seen before.

'This is Avena's tent. Let me do the talking to begin with.' Payam advised.

Catra took a small step back and placed a calloused hand on Glimmer's bicep.

Payam knocks three times, and to the girls bewilderment, the knocks were accompanied by the soft whistle of a flute from inside.

Using that as confirmation for whatever it is he was ensuring, Payam pulls the curtain back.

He leads the two old enemies into the tent, and then took place like a child sentinel by the open window.

Catra swallows, and tightens her grip on Glimmer.

The princess of Brightmoon only then understood what she was seeing.

At the other side of the hut, a woman wis situated in a rocking chair with a red quilt thrown over her lap.

She, of course, was a magicat. With eyes of honey gold, and grey-blonde hair in an elegant bun. Her beautiful face was sharp and defined, with some small, unnoticeable wrinkles under her eyes alongside thin white and scarlet scars that stretched across her entire being. Her lips full and red, like she had painted them with the blood of those who wronged her.

It was Avena, the stormstress, with every inch of her warrior beauty on display.

'Lieutenant Payam. Explain.' Her voice is strong, and conveyed clear brilliance.

Glimmer and Catra share a look.

'My lady, meet Glimmer and Catra. C'yra and Angella's wains.' Payam announces.

'I dare assume that the one lacking height in extreme bursts is Angella's? Pity. She had great potential to have tall children. Alas, atleast we have a D'riluth at average height. C'yra must have finally garnered her sense. I presume that Amato is your father? The joker, he was an all-round calamity.' Avena grumbles.

"Y-you know my mom?' Glimmer breathes, eyes widening.

'Of course I did. C'yra and her had a fling a few decades back. Until Amato came along. Even after, my oracle tells me they stayed close up until roughly eighteen years ago.' The ancient woman files her claws absent mindedly.

'A what?!' Catra gapes.

'Payam?' Avena turns to him.

'A fling. Definition; A short term relationship in which two dumbasses engage in. Mainly rocketing off of sexual intercourse.' He pipes up.

Glimmer looked green at the mental images.

'Anyways....We need your help.' Catra swallows then announces.

'No. I don't know your worth. Only once you've proven yourself will I even consider.' Avena does not hesitate.

'But-'

'Catra. She's....remember what I said...?' Payam whispers.

Catra backs off, although fuming. What had Avena not been paying attention to?! The whole of Etheria, especially Purrsia, knew her name and accomplishments. And yet here was a woman, her grandmother at that, deeming her worthless until proven otherwise.

'How can I prove myself then?' She hisses out through gritted teeth.

'That's for me to know and you to find out. Now, are you keen enough on doing so that you will take up free accommodation here and letting us watch over you as you chase worthiness?' Avena's words are dipped with malice. She expects her to turn back.

'I'm staying. I need your help. Otherwise we'll all....nevermind. I need to prove that I am worthy of your help. And I will fight for it. Glimmer?' Catra surprises her, determination wining through her being.

'I'm....I'm sorry, I need to go home. My parents are probably furious.' She shuffles back a few steps.

'That's fine. I'll see you in a few days then?'

'Umm....sure.'

Glimmer exits the hut, and Catra's gaze focuses on her grandmother's.

'Where do I start?'

'You're ambitious. An admirable trait, I'll give you that. Now girl, You're staying here. With me. And these next few days will be Hell. I suggest you give up now or get your pompous, furry behind hurt.' Avena grumbles.

'I was Shadow Weaver's ward. My pompous, furry behind has been hurt enough.' Catra mutters, folding her arms across her chest.

Avena chuckles aloud at that one.

'You have no idea just how cruel life can be, sunshine.'

Or perhaps it was Avena who did not know, because Catra's suffering was beyond comprehension.