10.05.18 - All it was is Unreasonable

All it was is Unreasonable
10.05.18

Naging maayos ang report namin. Dahil maaga nakapagprepara, kabisadong-kabisado na ng mga kasama ko ang sasabihin nila. Tinuro ko rin kung paano ang boses, tono, at gaano kalakas. Nakuha naman nila.

Kampante na ako kaya nagvolunteer na akong mauna kami. Gusto rin kasi ni Sir kapag nagvovolunteer mauna, may plus points daw sa kaniya 'yon.

"And that's all for our report. Thank you for listening," I ended our presentation satisfied.

"Okay, go back to your chart," he followed up. Nilagay ko sa slide na iyon. "Where did you get those data?"

"Sir---"

"Mr. Santos," he called Gerome.

"Sir. Ah . . . In the ano . . ."

Pasimple akong lumapit sa kaniya. "Stu---"

"Ms. Evangelista." Naitikom ko ang bibig dahil sa tono ni Sir. "Let your member answer. That is his part."

"Mr. Santos, can you elaborate on the Puerperal Fever?"

". . .Uhm. . ." Gerome eyed the screen, then his paper.

". . ."

"Mr. Fernandez," pagtawag kay Harvin.

Nanatili lang nakayuko si Harvin, hindi nagsalita. At mukhang walang balak magsalita.

"Rule of thumb! Do not talk about something you know nothing about."

Huminga ako nang malalim at napapikit. We just gave an example of an Epidemic! Irrelevant na sa topic i-explain!

"Ms. Evangelista."

"Sir, the Puerperal Fever is also known as the Black Death of Childbirth. Historically, it was an epidemic that broke out in Europe in the 18th century. The disease affected women giving birth. Several would die within the first three days after childbirth.

"The epidemic got worse and worse so doctors tried to study the corpses of the women affected by the disease to look for reasons. Cure. They were juggling conducting autopsies and delivering babies in the center. Until someone noticed that the doctors weren't washing their hands while they delivered babies. So that was the cause of the disease. Bacterial infection."

"So what conclusion can you draw from that, Mr. Santillan?"

"Uh . . . I therefore conclude, sir, that sometimes . . . we are the problem."

Napalingon ako sa kaniya dahil nilingon niya ako.

"Can you elaborate on that?"

Akala ko wala na siyang maisasagot pero bumalik ang mga mata niya sa class at nagpatuloy.

"If only the doctors realized early that they were the problem and began sterilizing their hands and equipment early, the disease wouldn't have lasted for over a century and multiple women could have been saved. So, as an analogy, introspect first before pointing fingers." He sounded so confident.

Nagpalakpakan ang mga kaklase ko at nagcheer pa sa kaniya.

Nabreak ang tension sa room! Akala ko makakahinga na ako nang maluwag dahil mukhang satisfied na ang mukha ni Sir pero nagsalita pa siya.

"I honestly like your presentation and chosen topic. However, some of you didn't report, you just memorized your spiels. Class, when you report, you interact with your presentation and you know your content by heart, not by words. And don't make it obvious that only one person did the slides.

"Remember, class, you are not a team no matter how good some of you are when someone is still left behind.

"Your grade is 75, group 2."

75 . . . And the lowest is 70 . . .

What the hell?

And because of what? Because we are not a team?

Saan ba 'ko naka-enroll, team building?!

"Are you questioning me, Ms. Evangelista?" sagot sa akin ni Sir nang puntahan ko sa faculty.

"No, sir. I just don't deserve the grade. I've worked really hard for our presentation," I replied calmy, expressing my point.

"Yes, you did. And I acknowledge your hard work, Ms. Evangelista. However, I already told you that my criteria would be your team effort. Where is that in your report when your members barely did anything? You think I wouldn't notice that you did all the work in your presentation?"

". . ."

Ramdam ko ang tingin sa akin ni Sir. He sighed. "Can you tell me what else we're supposed to learn in school aside from knowledge?"

". . ."

"Pakikisama, Ms. Evangelista."

* * *

July 18, 2023

Forgot kaninong speech ko narinig 'yung about the Puerperal Fever, pero that's the reference po