Season 1: Episode 20

Source: Wikipedia
"A New Chapter Begins the Chunin Exam!"

"After their adventure in the Land of Waves, Team 7 has returned to doing miscellaneous missions, with Naruto's rivalry with Sasuke making matters worse to the point that Kakashi decides to call it a day and sends his students home. After Sasuke takes his leave, Naruto and Sakura meet up with Konohamaru and his friends, Udon and Moegi. As antics ensue with him making Sakura mad, Konohamaru accidentally bumps into two foreign ninjas. Despite advice from his older sister Temari (one of the two mystery ninjas), Kankuro (the other) threatens to kill Konohamaru. After somehow tripping Naruto, Kankuro was about to hit Konohamaru when Sasuke hit the ninja with a stone. Just as Kankuro is about to attack Sasuke, he is stopped by his younger brother Gaara as Temari explains that they are ninjas from the Hidden Sand Village in the Land of Wind who have arrived for the Chunin Exams."

Analysis

Although it's not mentioned in the summary, there is also humour on the part of Naruto. Konohamaru and his friends are being chased by Sakura because Konohamaru commented that Sakura was Naruto's girlfriend and made fun of her forehead.

We are also introduced to three new characters, Kankuro, Temari, and Gaara, from the Hidden Sand Village. Their demeanour seems suspicious because Kankuro threatened to kill Konohamaru. However, thanks to Sasuke, Konohamaru was saved. Moreover, Gaara is the one in charge of the group because he stopped Kankuru from picking a fight against Sasuke. Therefore, these three members from the Hidden Sand Village have arrived for the Chunin exams. Thus, there is an unfolding of events since we will learn more about the Chunin Exams later.

Towards the end of the episode, it is revealed that the next various episodes will focus on the Chunin Exams.