Season 1: Episode 50

Source: Wikipedia
"The Fifth Gate: A Splendid Ninja is Born"

"Lee's increased speed overwhelms Gaara's sand defences. Lee opens the Fifth Gate and uses his most powerful attack, Hidden Lotus. Lee's power, accuracy, strength, and speed increase outstandingly, allowing Lee to inflict extreme injuries on Garra with a fifth gate barrage of his. Unfortunately for Lee, Gaara survives by softening his fall with sand and using his sand coffin to crush Lee's left arm and leg. Gaara moves his sand to finish Lee, but Guy blocks the final attack. Lee, though unconscious due to the pain and covered in blood, rises to continue the battle, his desire to win fueling his broken body. At the end of the match, Rock Lee is crippled to the extent that he is unable to fight again. Guy regrets teaching Lee such dangerous techniques but vacates the ring for the final match between Choji Akimichi and Dosu Kinuta."

Analysis

Unfortunately, the episode ended in tragedy because Lee had lost the match. Although Lee had a huge advantage in terms of speed, power, accuracy, and strength, Gaara survived by softening his fall with sand and using his sand coffin to crush Lee's left arm and leg. If it weren't for Lee's Jonin teacher, Might Guy, who knows what Gaara would have done next? Gaara is very dangerous—a monster who would have killed Lee if he had the chance.

Lee proves to be very determined to win the match. Although Lee was unconscious due to the pain and covered in blood, he rose so that he could attempt to fight again. This again proves that he is similar to Naruto, considering they both don't know when to give up. They both work extremely hard to become the best ninjas they can be. However, unfortunately for Lee, he has lost the match since he is crippled to the extent that he can never fight again. In other words, his days of being a ninja are over, hence why it is a tragedy. Therefore, there is a sad atmosphere since everyone is feeling sympathetic towards Lee, especially Sakura and Naruto. Is this the end for Lee? Only time will tell.

There is an element of sadness in this episode. For instance, Lee is crippled, and Might Guy feels guilty for teaching Lee such a dangerous technique. Therefore, he cares about Lee as his student, hence showing his caring nature and empathy for Lee. From my point of view, Might Guy shouldn't blame himself for this because Gaara is dangerous. Might Guy couldn't have predicted that this would happen to Lee. Moreover, Gaara is not only dangerous but also suspicious. His power isn't normal; in fact, it is too extreme. This makes us wonder what hidden power Gaara possesses. At that moment, there is use of a foreshadowing technique where there is a hint of what will happen later in the plot.

Moreover, there is an unfolding of events since we are aware that the next match will be between Choji Akimichi and Dosu Kinuta.

The lesson from this episode is that sometimes things don't work out the way they're supposed to. However, it shouldn't hinder someone's goals, no matter what.