Season 1: Episode 43

Source: Wikipedia

"Killer Kunoichi and a Shaky Shikamaru"

"The next match is between Temari and Tenten. Tenten's weapon summonings are negated by Temari's wind-based attacks, and she is defeated. Shikamaru Nara and Kin Tsuchi are chosen for the next match. Although Kin ensnares Shikamaru in a genjutsu, he captures her in his Shadow Imitation Technique. He forces her to knock herself unconscious. The next combatants are randomized, putting everyone in a state of awaiting excitement, and in the end, they are revealed to be Naruto and Kiba Inuzuka".

Analysis

According to the Narutopedia website, the next match was between Tenten and Temari. Temari deftly sidesteps Tenten's initial move. Team Guy was shocked that Temari could not even be scratched or struck by a weapon. Tenten attempts another strike, but Temari blocks it with the wind from her giant folding fan. She then threatens to end the fight if Tenten sees all three stars—or moons in the English anime—in her fan. Tenten applies her method of Twin Rising Dragons. After Temari uncovers the second star and deflects the onslaught, Tenten repurposes the weapons using strings. Temari repels the attack and ensnares Tenten in a cyclone after uncovering the third star. Temari forces Tenten to crash on her fan after she falls from the storm, knocking her unconscious.

In an instant, Temari won the fight without even putting so much effort into the match. This proves that she's extremely strong, which is expected from the opponents coming from the Hidden Sand Village.

Afterwards, there was a match between Shikamaru Nara and Kin Tsuchi. According to the Narutopedia website, when Shikamaru uses the Shadow Imitation Technique, Kin effortlessly dodges and tosses some senbon at him that has bells attached. When Shikamaru realizes the ruse, she makes fun of her for employing such simple methods. After that, Kin begins her genjutsu by ringing the bells on the senbon. Shikamaru is immobilized by Kin's genjutsu and cannot escape as Kin continues to strike him with additional senbon. However, Kin tries to strike again, but she realizes too late that she is immobile. She is informed by Shikamaru that he used his Shadow Imitation Technique to extend beyond the cables' shadow. Next, he tosses Kin a shuriken, and she mimics him, causing her to hit her head too close to the wall and knock herself out.

At that moment, this revealed more about the characterization of Shikamaru Nara. For instance, Shikamaru's unique technique: Shadow Possession Jutsu controls the opponent's movements. Due to Shkamaru's technique, Kin knocked herself unconscious. In this match, Shikamaru is shown to be the type of character who is good at analysing situations. Since Shikamaru doesn't like too much hard work, it explains why he didn't want to put so much effort into a fight. Therefore, Shikamaru is naturally smart, even though the way he won this match is amusing.

There is an unfolding of events where, in the next episode, the next combatants are Naruto and Kiba Inuzuka. This episode is going to be epic since we will finally see Naruto, the protagonist, show off his ninja skills.