Season 2: Episode 70

Source: Wikipedia
"A Shirker's Call to Action: A Layabout No More!"

"As Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, and Pakkun pursue Sasuke, it soon becomes apparent that they're being followed by a group of nine Sound ninjas. Shikamaru volunteers to stall them to buy the others time and fall back. Once the Sound Ninja get close enough, Shikamaru traps them with his shadow, though he finds that he has only captured eight. Attempting to kill the eight, Shikamaru discovers the ninth's location but lacks the chakra to trap him. As his shadow recedes and the eight freed ninjas prepare to kill Shikamaru, Asuma Sarutobi, Shikamaru's sensei, arrives and defeats all the Sound ninjas, saving Shikamaru."

Analysis

Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, and Pakkun pursue Sasuke, and it soon becomes apparent that they're being followed by a group of nine Sound ninjas. Shikamaru volunteers to stall them to buy the others time and fall back. From the episode I have seen, Naruto and Sakura suggest an ambush attack against the enemy. However, Shikamaru said it wouldn't work because the enemy already knows the whereabouts of this village, plus their strength is Jonin Level. Therefore, Shikamaru suggests that one of them should be the fall guy to stall the enemy, but at the risk of their lives. As a result, there is a moment of silence when they stop to think, which brings out an intense atmosphere. Eventually, Naruto suggests being the fall guy, but Shikamaru decides to stall the enemy instead. The fact that Naruto wanted to risk his life shows that he is courageous. Moreover, there is an element of change on the part of Shikamaru because he decides to stall the enemy. It is a surprise because the Shikamaru we knew so far didn't want to get involved. Therefore, Shikamaru in this case is also courageous. Furthermore, the team leader who came up with the plan also shows that Shikamaru is smart and a strategist. That's why the Jonin teachers at the arena said he would become a good leader for a team; hence, Shikamaru was a leader in this case. If Shikamaru hadn't pursued Sasuke with the rest, then probably something bad would have happened; hence, Shikamaru plays an important part in this episode.

Once the Sound Ninja get close enough, Shikamaru traps them with his shadow, though he finds that he has only captured eight. Attempting to kill the eight, Shikamaru discovers the ninth's location but lacks the chakra to trap him. Shikamaru used fake footprints to lure the enemies into his trap, which is the Shadow Possession Jutsu. Shikamaru once again used his intelligence to trap the opponent with his jutsu. However, the ninth ninja was on the tree above him. Shikamaru notices this, but he lacks the chakra due to his match with Temari. Things were bad, but Shikamaru was smart enough to quit his match with Temari. In my opinion, it was a wise move because it led to him helping others pursue Sasuke. At that moment, Shikamaru lacks the chakra to trap the ninth ninja, which means that his Shadow Possession Jutsu will fade. Therefore, this makes this moment intense until Asuma Sarutobi saves the day.

As his shadow recedes and the eight freed ninjas prepare to kill Shikamaru, Asuma Sarutobi, Shikamaru's sensei, arrives and defeats all the Sound ninjas, saving Shikamaru. Shikamaru was prepared to die until Asuma Sarutobi saved the day. Therefore, Shikamaru is a dynamic character who grew as a result of the storyline. In other words, he went from always playing safe in situations to risking his life. Moreover, when Asuma Sarutobi arrives to save Shikamaru, triumph music plays in the background to symbolize a sense of victory on the part of Asuma Sarutobi. He easily defeats the ninjas and is proud of Shikamaru for what he did. Asuma Sarutobi played an important part in this episode in the sense that he was the one who saved Shikamaru from death. This episode was epic.

The lesson from this episode is that we shouldn't judge people based on their appearances because Shikamaru helped others in their pursuit to find Sasuke.