Back To You

Jamie Drysdale/Trevor Zegras
605 words
Not requested
PT2 of Away From You

Jamie left Anaheim, more specifically, left Trevor two days ago. They've talked whenever they've had time, but just as Trevor said, it's not the same.

He needs to feel Jamie's breath when he whispers into his ear. He needs to feel the warmth radiating from Jamie's body when he's standing too close to be considered a friendly distance. He needs Jamie with him.

Then they put Trevor on the chopping block. When he found out he was now able to be traded the first thing he did was beg to be sent to Philly. But wishes don't always come true.

Quite literally the next day Trevor goes down against the boards and he only feels pain from his ankle. He stays down, waiting for the medical staff,  waiting to wake up from this terrible dream with Jamie by his side. He doesn't.

Trevor's out 6-8 weeks after a surgery for a broken ankle. The first then Jamie does she he finds out is call him. Trevor watches his phone ring, still loopy from pain medicine, and then he picks it up.

"Hi Jamie." Trevor says quietly.

"Are you okay? I saw you got surgery." Jamie says. Trevor can hear the heartbreak in Jamie's voice. He wished he could be there to help Trevor, but thanks to Pat, he couldn't.

"I'm okay." Jamie doesn't believe Trevor. He saw with his own eyes how his trade affected him and he said 'I'm okay' when Jamie called him after his flight. He knew he wasn't okay.

"Please, tell me the truth." Jamie says. He's practically pleading Trevor to tell him what he wants to hear. To tell him he's not okay and that he needs Jamie eighth now more than ever. And Jamie would book a flight and say it's a family emergency and he'd be back in Anaheim.

"I don't think these pain pills are working." Trevor says. Jamie tries to laughs, but it comes out as a painful noise.

"Your leg hurts?" Jamie asks, a smile Trevor couldn't see littered on his face. Trevor's being truthful with him and for some reason that makes him the happiest he's been in awhile.

"No... my heart does. I miss you so much Jamie and adding a hurt ankle to that... I don't know how much more I can take." Trevor cries. Jamie's heart breaks and his smile falls from his face.

"It's like I'm at the lowest I can go and I'm... trying to dig myself deeper. I don't know how to get back up. You were my ladder, Jamie." Jamie's scrolling through his contacts to find his coach. Did he know what he was going to say? No. Was he going to talk about Trevor? Yes.

"I'm always going to be here for you, Trevor. No matter the distance. I will help you if you want me to." Jamie says. He means every word he says to Trevor. He will help him and he wants to.

"I love you, Jamie." Trevor says.

"I love you more, Trevor." They've never exchanged these words before. Both sides of the phone went quiet.

"If you want me to fly down to Anaheim, I will." Jamie whispers. Trevor lets out a shaky breath.

"If it's okay with the Flyers... please come." Trevor says. Jamie nods, then remembers he's talking to Trevor through the phone.

"I'll be back before you know it." Jamie says before him and Trevor exchange goodbyes and I love yous. Jamie sits there with his phone off. Then a tear slips from his eye. Trevor is so broken without him.

I'll be back with you soon, Trevor.