Marry Me

Nick Moldenhauer
542 words
Not requested

"Have you ever thought about getting married?"  Nick asked his best friend, y/n. He watched as a smile formed on her face and her eyes lit up.

"All the time." y/n responded. She lost herself in a daydream about the moment in the future and Nick just admired her. He thought about his future wedding, the only thing for certain is that he wanted y/n there as his bride.

"Tell me about it." Nick's words broke her out of her trance. y/n's eyes looked into Nick's as she began to talk.

"I want my grandfather preaching. I want to have magnolias everywhere and the wedding will be in the country. Only close friends and family, you know, so save some money." y/n's smile softens at the thought of the perfect evening. Nick took in a deep breath as she spoke about the night. Slowly, he was imagining everything she was saying and her standing with him at the alter. That wouldn't ever happen.

Nick's eyes trailed down to the sweatshirt y/n was sinking into. His take on the night changes. He'd be in his black suit and black tie. While hiding where no one could see him he'd take a couple drinks of whiskey out of a flask so the emotions of that night would postpone. When the wedding finally came Nick would sit in the back of the crowd and try not to cry. Sure, y/n wants to get married, but she doesn't want to marry him.

...

Nick laughs as y/n dances around the kitchen to a random love song on the radio. She swings her hips to the beat of the music and Nick resists the urge to reach out and dance with her.

Eventually the song ends and a smile is resting on both of their face. y/n takes a step towards Nick and suddenly the space between them doesn't seem so big. Nick hops down from the counter and he looks down at her, down at her lips. He lifts his hand to rest on her cheek, but it never touches.

Ethan walks through the door and y/n takes a step back to turn and greet him. Nick feels the emptiness like it's been there all his life as she leaves. He almost kissed her without thought of the boy she's truely in love with.

...

But when Nick got the invite, he knew it was too late. Her father won't be the only one giving her away.

...

Nick stands off to the side, hiding from any of the wedding guests. She has to be in her dress by now, welcoming any of the guest walking into the country wedding. Nick's in his black suit and black tie. He's doing his strong shot of whiskey to soothe the feeling of dread filling into his gut.

Nick's sitting in the back of the crowd of people. He's trying not to cry so hopefully no one will see the true emotions he has about this event. She wanted exactly this to go married, including Ethan at the alter waiting for her. She wanted to get married. She's going to get married, but she isn't going to marry him.