Chapter Seventy-six

- what do you mean 'not all'? -

"Hey" I hear Teresa speak up from inside the pit where she and Thomas was put and I turn around to see Thomas has woken up. "Are you okay?" She then asks as I kneel down to the for to the pit. "What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck then asks Thomas sounding annoyed, making Thomas and Teresa turn around to look up at us. "Wha happened?" Thomas then asks confused. "Gally's taken control" Newt explains to Thomas. "He said we had a choice" he continues, "Either join him or get banished at sundown with you" Newt then adds as Thomas sits up straight.

"And the others agreed to that?" Thomas asks and I look back at the other Gladers walking around working on rebuilding the Glade, spotting Tyrell by the stables working on the animals. "Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened" I then hear Teresa say as I turn back around facing them to see Thomas looking around at everyone. "Well, he's right so far" Thomas then says and I look over at him confused to why he just said that Gally was right.

"What are you talking about?" Minho asks him just was confused as me. "This place... It's not what we thought it was" Thomas explains "It's not a prison. It's a test." he then adds "It all started when we were kids." Thomas continues as I look down on the ground.

"They'd give us these challenges." he then says as I look back up at him and Teresa "They were experimenting on us" he then tells us, and  images starts flowing through my head "And then People started disappearing" he adds. I squint my eyes shut tight as the sound of someone screaming my name, but I just can't figure out who. "Every month, one after the other, like clockwork" Thomas continues as I open my eyes looking back down at him.

"Sending them into the Maze?" Newt then asks as he grabs my hand intertwining our fingers. "Yeah, but not all of us" Thomas replies and I look at him confused. "What do you mean 'not all'?" I then ask him and he looks up at me. "Guys, I'm one of them" Thomas tells us. "The people who put you here, I worked for them" he continues as I look up at Theo who's standing behind Newt, then back at Thomas. "I watched you guys for years. the entire time you've been here, I... I was on the other side of it." Thomas says before looking over at Teresa. "So were you" he then adds and I look over at Teresa in shock.

"What?" Teresa asks him just as confused as me as she look at Thomas. "Teresa, we did this to them" Thomas continues. "No." She then says as she shakes her head, "That can't be true" she adds as she looks down on the ground not wanting to believe him. "It is. I saw it" Thomas tells her as Newt lets go of my hand, putting his hand up to his face. "Why would they send us up if we were with them?" Teresa then asks Thomas, and I kinda agree with her. Why would they send two of their own into the maze?

"It doesn't matter" Thomas just tells her "He's right" Newt then speaks up and I look up at him confused, since I am pretty curious to why they would send them up if they worked for WICKED. "It doesn't matter" he adds as he glances at me before looking down at Thomas. "Any of it" Newt continues, "Because the people we were before the Maze, they don't even exist anymore. These Creators took care of that" he then adds and I look up at him, as I hadn't thought about it like that. "But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now." Newt continues as his tone gets more determined.

"You went Into the Maze and you found a way out" Newt then tells him. "Yeah, but if I hadn't Alby would still be alive" Thomas says giving himself all the blame, as he looks up at Newt. "We can't be sure of that though, it could also be the Creators wanting to get a reaction out of us" I try making them all look up at me. "Maybe" Newt then says as he looks back at Thomas. "But I know that if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing." Newt continues "Pick your ass up and finish what you started" he adds as he look down at Thomas.

"'Cause if we do nothing... then that means Alby died for nothing, and I can't have that" Newt tells him, "Okay" Thomas then says "Okay, but we gotta get through Gally first" he then says as a small smile appears on my lips. "I might have an idea for that" I say cursing them all to look over at me again, and I tell them the plan.