Backstage Jitters

Dedicated to @Charlotte3481

(A/n I love this idea! I'm a dancer and I'm going to nationals next week, so I'm going to inspire it with that, hope you enjoy it!)

Charlotte was going to one of the biggest dance competitions in the country. Just about every young dancer that has become popular is also going. She had got invited from the regionals and thought it would be amazing to go. It wasn't her first competition, but it was her first nationals.

Charlotte got lucky to have the competition in her home state, which made it helpful to have her friends and family to support her. Even her boyfriend, Bucky, was coming. who always helped her through anything she needed support with. He was always there for her, no matter what.

----

She arrived 3 hours ahead of when she would be dancing; to get checked in and ready to go. Luckily, Bucky was able to drive her and stay there the whole competition. He walked with her to the dressing room, but wasn't able to go in (girls only in the dressing rooms.) The two stopped outside the door and turned toward each other.

"I can wait here for you, if you want," he offered.

"No, it's okay. I don't know how long it will take. But I will text you if I need you." She said with a smile.

"Okay," he smiled back and kissed her. "Good luck and you know I love you."

"I love you too," Charlotte smiled and kissed his cheek before walking into the dressing room.

She opened the door to the smell of hairspray and sweat. Typical.

This dressing room was bigger than usual, made sense for nationals. But she was able to find a small spot in the corner where she could set her stuff down. She began to change into her costume and make all her makeup and hair stage-ready. Once done, Charlotte threw on her dance jacket, began to play her pump up playlist and began to stretch when she felt her phone buzz.

From Bucky : "Hey, you and I both know you will do amazingly, I love you and don't even stress about anything. These other girls have nothing on you :)"

From Charlotte : "Thanks buck :) now go watch, I gotta get ready"

From Bucky : "ughhhh fine, but I only wanna watch you"

From Charlotte : "GO"

She giggled and put her phone back in her pocket. She got back into her stretches when she began to look around. Some of the girls were doing amazing tricks that she didn't even know. She began to get a little worried, but shook it off and focused on herself.

----

It was 5 numbers before her dance and she got backstage and to check in. All her friends and family had already visited her backstage, wishing good luck, saying she'll do well, stuff like that. Those helped, but she started watching other dancers and she became stressed. She really needed Bucky again. She ran back and grabbed her jacket and ran back. She took out the phone that was still in it and texted him.

From Charlotte : "hi can you get back here I need you right now"

There wasn't a reply, and she began to grow disappointed and worried. Did he turn his phone off? No, he wouldn't do that. If not that, then where was he?

A few seconds later, she heard heavy thuds getting closer to the backstage door. Everyone turned to see who it was, and it was Bucky.

Oh thank god. She thought to herself and she let out a sigh and made eye contact with him. She gave him a little smile as he walked toward her.

"You okay? I got your text and came as quickly as I could." He asked, still a little out of breath.

"I'm okay, I'm just stressed. I've been watching all these other dancers and now I feel like I'm not going to do well. I know I shouldn't but I'm just scared."

"Charlotte, you will be fine. And you should know that it doesn't matter how you do, it just matters that you did it and you feel confident in what you are doing. No one else matters except you during that dance. And if you're scared you'll forget, you won't. You've been doing that dance for ages now and you could do it in your sleep. Charlotte I love you and I know you love me, but you also love dance and that's what matters on that stage. Love what you're doing and be confident in it."

"Buck don't make me cry, I'll ruin my makeup." She said with a little laugh and careful wipe of her eyes. "But thank you. Thank you so much." She smiled and hugged him. He enveloped her into him and put his head on top of hers. They stayed there for a while, and they could hear a few awws and little bits of whispering. She backed out of the hug and grabbed his hand. He squeezed it, affirming his speech.

"Okay, I'm going to stay back here. So you know I'm always here for support." He smiled.

"Thank you, and I would kiss you, but you would get some nice red lips. But I'll do this." She gave him a quick kiss cheek and they announced her name. She mouthed the words "I love you" to him and she walked onto the stage. He smiled and clapped for her with everyone else.

During her dance, an older dance teacher walked up to Bucky and whispered;

"She's very lucky to have you."

"I think I'm the lucky one; to have her."

And that was all. He smiled and nodded toward her, as a thank you.

He turned back to Charlotte, gracing the stage with her dance.

----

She did her final move and everyone began clapping and whooping for her. It's was the loudest heard all day. And Bucky may have been a lot of that cheering. She walked off the stage the same why she walked on. Once fully off stage, she ran into Bucky's arms and he spun her around.

"That was the best I've ever seen it!" He exclaimed, putting her down but still wrapped around her.

"Thanks to you,"

"No, it was all you! It was always inside you, you just needed to hear it from someone else." He said.

She kissed him, and again, more awws.

Once they broke apart, they walked out and went to see her family. They were running towards her and put her in the middle of a big group hug. She made eye contact with Bucky, as almost a pled for help. He laughed and just joined into the hug. He didn't care. She was fine and her family needed to do this.

They all began to break off and started to talk about how well she did, their favorite parts and so on. She was smiling and thanking them, but kept dragging her eyes over to Bucky's. She loved everyone, but Bucky especially.

He was absolutely the perfect love of her life.

A/N - hope you liked it! Feel free to request more!