Episode 19

" I feel like I'm playing hooky from school and I'm at school," Lyle laughed as he and Angel sat side by side on the floor of his classroom at Barrington Academy. The loud throbbing music in the auditorium and all the bodies moving about had pretty much overstimulated the teacher in his chaperone duties so he had tossed caution to the wind and suggested that they both take a small break in his classroom. His eyes sadly watched the empty birdcage on the counter in the far back corner of the room. It would take him a while to get over his bird's loss. Who would want to hurt such an innocent creature? And why ? He didn't know anything. He was just talking to the police to give them a better idea of who Sidnei Chou actually was.

" Playing hooky was my favorite pastime in middle school," Angel said softly as he tossed an arm around the man's shoulders. He also watched the empty bird cage. " Did you hear from the cop yet? "

Lyle shook his head. " No. Not yet. I don't want to believe someone would hate me this much. Threatening me is one thing but to kill an innocent creature. What kind of monster would do that? "

Would a child really do that? , he wondered. He found it hard to believe such evil could possibly live in people that young. But if not the students who was it ?

Suddenly an image of Gerald Hightower popped into his mind. He knew, everyone knew, just how much the school meant to that man. But exactly, he mused , how far would he go to protect it ?

                    ------------

Sol finally got his dance with Luci and he was enjoying it very much but he was also getting concerned about her. She was acting so..... well strange. Stranger than usual anyway. Really hyper and bouncy. She was literally bouncing around on her tiptoes even when they were not dancing. Her big brown eyes looked even more huge and wide. And she was sweating a lot. " You look hot ," he said. " You want more punch? "

Luci smirked at him. " Noooo ! I don't want punch. " She whirled around and gave a death glare at Theodore and Alan who were still dancing. This time to a slow song. That fucking dirty rat creep , her mind shot out sharply. Fucking Ducking asshole. Theodore was supposed to be her friend and Alan her date and yet they were together while she was dancing with......

Suddenly she saw what looked like JT Keller standing before her getting heavier eyes. Who the hell let him in ! " Go back to your own school, asshole! ,"she yelled as JT laughed at her.

Sol looked at her and asked," Luci ? Who are you talking to? There's nobody there. Wait here. I'm getting Doc D. " He moved off and then looked back at her. " Don't move. "He hurried off to find her uncle in the crowded room.

JT said rudely," You like losers huh , boy ? That why you dancing with Whale Boy? He the best you can get? God what a geek you are. What a freak. Alan never wanted you. Why should he? You are not a girl and never will be. Just a flat chested boy with a dick. Hormones won't help you, freak. Your moms was right. So was Harvey. Freak. "

Luci hit at the boy hard and he started to laugh again. She hit him again. And again. Then she started to scream as he kept laughing. " I'm not a freak ! I'm not a freak! Fuck you ! "

The music kept playing but the kids stopped dancing and talking to stare open-mouthed at her screaming and swiping at absolutely nothing before her. Alan and Theodore came running over to her.

" Hey , Luci," Alan said gently. " Are you ok ? "

Theodore swayed on his own feet and almost against his will he began to giggle. Theodore laughing set Luci off and had her seeing red. " Fuck you too , you stupid nerd ! ," she yelled at him. " This is why you have no friends! Loser! "Then she hauled off and slapped him in the face. " Theodore is a dumb name! "

" Luci ! ," DuBuis said sharply as he grabbed his niece and pulled her back from Theodore who had stopped giggling and now looked fairly scared with wide eyes and trembling lips. He looked at the young girl and narrowed his eyes. She looked..... high. No. His niece wouldn't be....." Calm down, little girl. "

Luci tried to get away from his grip , saying," This is why I didn't want you to come. All you ever do is embarrass me. I seriously hate you, Uncle D. I love Uncle Spencer and I hate you. Let me go.  Let me go ! "

As he struggled to keep her from running off , he was joined by other chaperones including Lyle and Angel who had heard the yelling from the classroom and Spencer.

" What on earth is going on? ," Gerald Hightower demanded to know as he waddled his big body closer to them.

Luci looked at him and giggled. " Can I sit on your lap , Santa ? "

Then suddenly she closed her eyes and slumped over in her uncle's arms.