Episode 119

" I'm getting old," Andrew said in a rare complaining voice as he rubbed his still aching hip and limped over to the kitchen table where he sat gratefully in his favorite chair. " You wouldn't think I used to box huh ?"

Glory came behind him and lovingly kissed the top of his head. " You're just a spring chicken , dear. Besides anyone would hurt after being shoved by a brute like yesterday. I can't imagine how poor Nigel is today. I'm working at the restaurant today but I plan to go over and check on him. "

" And take the dollhouse we got Tanisha," he reminded her. " We can do that a little later. I forgot yesterday. And right now I just want to rest a bit more. "

Alfred shook his head as he reached for the jar of strawberry jam and began to painstakingly spoon some on his mother's homemade bread. " It's horrifying what happened. Do the police even have any leads ? "

Andrew pursed his lips and shook his head. " Not yet. Nigel didn't remember much at all. And the guy had on a ski mask. Best I can describe is tall lean young. Nigel heard his voice as he called him slurs and he said the bastard sounded familiar but he couldn't place the voice. The cops took pictures and fingerprints and statements and that was about it. From my long ago past as a criminal defense lawyer I really don't think they will actually find him. "

Glory settled down between her husband and her son to start her breakfast while saying," The world is getting way too violent. Oh what am I saying? It's always been violent. People just can't let others live free. I worried so much about you, Alfred , when you were in Philly with Scott. How is he by the way, sweetheart? "

Alfred furrowed his brow and ignored the question and his mother's all knowing eyes as he concentrated on his breakfast. Then his phone rang. He glanced at it and almost cussed. It was him.

He answered it , saying warily," Yes ? What do you want? "

Glory and Andrew exchanged glances.

On the other end of the line Scott Sands drawled out ," You. Why did you leave? "

Alfred forgot he was in the kitchen with his mother and stepfather as he responded," Why did you cheat on me ? "

Glory tightened her lips. And Andrew narrowed his eyes.

" Freddie, it was a mistake," Scott said in such a soft self mocking voice that Alfred almost believed him. Almost. Except it was not just the first mistake. Alfred had suspected many times of Scott's unfaithfulness but he had chalked it up to his own insecurities over his disability and the fact that Scott was so damn gorgeous and popular with fans and colleagues alike. Scott had admitted this one though. Out of guilt or whatever but he had admitted it. Yes. He still loved Scott but he was not going to be treated like that by him. He was a Giadello. The son of Franco Giadello. The nephew of Carlos. The cousin of Jacob. All manly men who were strong and confident. The Giadello men didn't get cheated on. They cheated on their spouses instead, he thought bitterly as his eyes cut over to his mother who was currently pretending not to hear the conversation.

" It was a mistake that won't happen again. " His hands began to tremble. Even his good one. His fork fell from his hand down to the plate with a loud clang. " I deserve more. I deserve better. You fucked up. "

Scott was quiet for a few seconds before saying," I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I love you. Please come back home. How are you going to make it there ? Our place is already set up for you. Your routine is all set in place here. You know how you are. " He paused again. " Or I will come there. We'll get a nice handicapped accessible place in DC. We can go to counseling. Please don't give up on us. "

Alfred wanted to say yes. But he couldn't. He remembered as a child listening to his parents fighting about his father's mistresses. He remembered watching his strong mother breaking down into tears. No. He loved Scott. He always would. But that life was not for him. His eyes blinked with the tears that he refused to shed. " No. I left the ring and the apartment for a reason. I'm never coming back to you. I hope you find what makes you happy. Obviously it was not me. I..... I'll miss you. Goodbye. Don't call me anymore. "

He hung up and just stared at his food. He never had much of an appetite but he really didn't feel up to eating right now. Then he looked at his concerned mother and stepfather who were watching him carefully. "I left Scott. It's over. I guess I'm destined to be alone forever. "