Episode 22

Gerald Hightower was not in a good mood that Saturday morning. Last night's dance at the school had started out well but thanks to the transgender student and her very common behavior it had ended awful. He could just see what the board would think of this if it got back to them. They were very pleased with his performance as headmaster. So far. But he was a realistic man , he thought as he hid behind the newspaper while sitting on the patio with his wife that morning.

His wife who did not seem like herself that day. Yes , she had been sick yesterday, and sick enough to leave school early which he disapproved of. If she was indeed sickly she should have merely gone to the clinic and gotten relief from Dr. Lane. His lips thinned as he thought of the man and his niece. He was beginning to regret having enrolled her at his school or having hired him. They were both beginning to shape up into unnecessary trouble. Of course he could not just fire him. Not without just cause. The man was Black, and he didn't feel up to opening a racial Pandora's Box with his dismissal. The same for the child. But he would not allow them to interfere with the school.

Like Lyle Peters. The teacher was usually no problem. Shy. Retiring. Fairly popular with his students. Nice. Friendly. Good teacher. He had had no issues with him in the past. Until, he mused, as he ruffled the paper in irritated suppressed fury. Until the Chou girl had passed away and the police started sniffing around. Why would the man even consider talking to the police, of all people, about the school? Did he have no walking around sense ? Not that he knew anything bad anyway. After all there was nothing bad to be told or known about. There was no drugs at his school.

He wondered idly what the man's relationship was with the new school nurse. If Lyle wanted to create trouble perhaps he should be discreetly reminded of the morals clause in his employment contract and that dating fellow colleagues was frowned on at Barrington Academy.

" What are your plans for today, dear ? ," he asked his wife , interrupting her constant stream of words which was unusual for her and rather annoying as well. " I was hoping you would partake of a trip into DC with me today. Perhaps take in a few art galleries and then lunch. "

Penelope delicately cut a bite of her grapefruit and wiggled her nose at him. " Oh not today, dear. I think I may call on an old friend today. "

Gerald was disappointed but not surprised. His wife never seemed to enjoy spending time with him. Sometimes he wondered exactly why she chose to stay married to him. Maybe it was the same reason he stayed as well. Habit.

" That sounds nice, dear ," he said as he folded his paper. Maybe he would ask the school secretary Edna if she wished to enjoy the galleries with him today. She was a widow and lonely. It would just be a friendly outing of course.