Episode 117

" Richard," Andrew said urgently over the phone," there's been a break in at your house."

Richard was in the middle of typing a legal brief on his MacBook when his father's words hit him and hit him hard. His fingers paused on the keyboard and he snapped tersely," A what? Is Nigel and Tanisha alright? Where are they? Have the police been called? "

Andrew sounded tired and a little pained as he replied," I came by to check on them. On Nigel especially. With the lupus and all. The front door is kicked in. So is your bedroom door. Nigel was in the bedroom. He was beaten. Tanisha was in the closet. She is ok. He is ok but shaken up. Very shaken up. I called 911. The cops are here. I'm trying to fix the damage to the doors for you all especially the front door. I called them and  Faith and Spencer came to get Tanisha. They have her at Spencer's. Nigel is at St. Paul's. He's not alone. I called Matilda. I know you don't trust her but she is actually very upset.  I'm sorry I didn't get here sooner. "

Richard said," I'm leaving for the hospital now. I am leaving now.  Thanks, Dad. "

He hung up the phone and stood up abruptly. He was breathing hard with his hands placed on the desk before him. He closed his eyes and then almost a second later with a roar of fury he reopened them and swept everything off his desk including the computer. " I will kill whoever hurt him , " he said sharply through clenched teeth.

The door to his office opened and in strode Jeremiah Duncan with a case file in hand. The junior associate looked amazed at the mess from the desk that had toppled onto the thickly carpeted floor and how enraged his employer looked. To him the man looked fit to kill someone. He did not scare that easily but even he took a step back as the man glared at him. 

" Richard, Mr. Norland , are you ok ? ," Jeremiah asked faintly. " Is this.... a bad time? I wanted to pick your brain on a rather troubling case.  I can come back. "

Richard looked at him and ran his hands over his face. " Jeremiah. I need a ride to the hospital. Please. Nigel is hurt. Someone ..... hurt my husband."

Jeremiah didn't even hesitate. " Let's go. I can obey all the traffic laws or I can get you there fast."

                 ------------

" Richard , " Nigel cried as he lay on the ER stretcher. He hurt so bad. And he was confused. So very confused. Had this been a home invasion ? Or something else ? He vaguely recalled the man using homophobic slurs especially as he had kicked and beat him. He remembered trying to fight back but the man had been so strong and almost a little crazed. It felt like he was trying to kill him........ How could something like this happen in their own house ? They should be safe in their own home ! 

Was Spencer safe in his home from Skip Sands though ? , his mind taunted him through waves of pain and confusion. And fear. 

" I need Richard. " His voice sounded so very young and scared and almost whiny but he didn't care. 

He felt warm loving arms holding him and gentle hands stroking his head. He felt just a little safe. Where was he ? Was Richard here ? He could slightly remember Andrew being there after holding his daughter. Thank God Tanisha was safe. Thank God the other kids were at school. 

" It's going to be ok , my darling , " he heard a soft almost musical sounding voice saying in his ear. Matilda. Mum. He wrapped his arms tightly around her body. His mother was here. She was holding him and taking care of him. Just like he had always dreamed she would when he was a child.  " Shhh. Richard will be here soon. Andrew is calling him from that firm of his. He is coming to you. I love you , my beautiful boy. It's going to be ok. " 

" Mummy , I'm scared. " 

" I know , love. I love you. I'm so sorry. "

Then as he continued to cry like his heart was shattered his mother began to sing to him. She sang an old Irish folk song he had always adored. The Wild Rover. It was all about a rover promising to change his ways. 

                        ---------------------------

In the hotel room she had rented on Penelope's credit card Pamela Perkins smiled cruelly as she sat on the king sized bed , surrounded by the materials she had also gotten on the card , studying the instructions she had located on Penelope's cell phone. 

Yes. Tomorrow was Friday the 13th. And at Barrington Academy it was going to be explosive.