Episode 36

Sol Klein was indeed moping about the house. Yes he had gotten his prized dance with Luci last night but it was a little bittersweet like the dark chocolate his grandmother baked with because someone had slipped Luci drugs. And yeah he knew that someone gave it to her because Luci would never do drugs. And if she was all drugged up last night maybe that was why she was so into dancing with him.

It wasn't like he could ask her, he thought as he flopped on the plastic covered sofa in the living room and switched on the TV to the Cartoon Channel. Cool. Cow and Chicken was on. No. He could not ask her because her uncles had her on an one day grounding. Not that he would have anyway. Oh well at least she couldn't call or text Goody Goody Alan the Perfect And Skinny Rich Boy.

As he settled back to watch the cartoon all of a sudden he heard a couple of loud pops that sounded like it came from his own front yard. He sat up. He remembered when someone had shot up Luci's house and Theodore got hit. It sounded exactly like that. Gunshots ? Wait.... Wasn't MeeMaw outside in her garden?

His heart felt heavy and his mouth dry as he jumped off the sofa, pulling up his jeans as he did. The diet was actually starting to work. His clothes were getting so loose that his grandmother was planning on buying him new clothes which he was looking forward to. And his face even looked a little slimmer to him in the bathroom mirror. Of course it didn't matter, he thought as he approached the front door and pulled it open, because MeeMaw was still keeping his chunky ass on the starvation diet from hell.

He saw several neighbors looking out of their own front doors with a lot of curiosity. Some were in their yards looking. Doc D was actually in Sol's own yard bending over what looked like a heap of clothes or something from where he stood. " Shit ," he thought he heard DuBuis Lane say quietly as he backed up and pulled out his cell phone quickly.

Sol came closer and down the porch steps. Close enough to see that it was not a heap of clothes that Doc D was near.

It was his MeeMaw.

There was blood on her chest it looked like. Her eyes were wide open and staring up at the bright blue sky with its scattered clouds. Her big sunhat had fallen off her head and..... And .......was that her yard clippers stuck in her throat.....

" MeeMaw ? ," he whispered softly. He took an step nearer as his mind registered faintly Doc D saying on the phone that there was a shooting and they needed an ambulance and the police. " MeeMaw ! ," he screamed louder.

DuBuis looked up and around at him. " Fuck ," he said under his breath. Then ,  as he stepped in front of the old woman's body to block Sol's view , he spoke a little louder ," Stay back, son. You don't need to see this. "

Sol ignored him and ran over to his grandmother as she was motionless on the ground. " MeeMaw ? Wake up. You shouldn't be sleeping outside. Wake up ! "