Episode 40

Sunday September 22 , 2024

DuBuis yawned and tightened the knotted belt of his red and black checked bathrobe as he approached the front door where there was an ungodly awful pounding at it. He hoped it didn't wake up the kids especially Sol who was sleeping in their guest bedroom since neither him nor Spencer were sending him back to an empty house that his grandmother had passed away in front of. Hell the police do not cross tape was still on the front yard.

Spencer came behind him in his chair and his own pajamas and bathrobe, rubbing his eyes before placing his glasses back on his face. " Who is that? ," Spencer asked groggily. " It's six thirty in the morning. "

They found out who it was when DuBuis answered the door and found Sol's mother LuLu standing on the front porch. Her dyed hair was ruffled heavily as though she had been running her fingers through it and her too made up face was screwed up into a mask of pissed off fury. She stomped into the hallway without being invited and propped her hands on her slim hips. The way she was standing had her trim stomach angling out in a way that made Spencer inwardly wonder if the forty something woman was pregnant for the third time.

" Where's my kid? ," she barked out harshly. "I just got in. A ..... friend gave me a ride home. I came as soon as I heard about poor old Gert. Accident, was it ? I hope she left insurance. Doubt it though. Gert was on a fixed income so I don't think she was buying up insurance. Guess I'll be passing the hat for the funeral. "

Her green eyes seductively went to DuBuis' face and she licked her lips at him. " How much can I put you down for , sugar ? " Then she stepped closer to the very uncomfortable looking man who easily sidestepped her advances to close the door and then go stand by his husband whose suddenly tense shoulder he put his hand on.

DuBuis snapped in a terse but quiet voice," Keep your voice down. We have three sleeping kids in this house including your son who was calling and texting you all night long. Where were you? "

LuLu pursed her lips at him while ignoring Spencer. " That ain't none your business, boy. You need to learn to stay in your place. Get my boy. He's coming home with me. I gotta figure out how to bury the old lady. "

Spencer narrowed his eyes and adjusted his glasses. " No. Sol stays here. That was Gertrude's last wish. "

LuLu laughed as she shook her head. She smiled in a condescending fashion at Spencer like you would a disobedient child or a puppy that had taken a piss on the new rug. " And, how would you know that, Wheels ? Were you there when she kicked it ? "

DuBuis practically growled at her ," Don't talk to my husband that way in our house. "

Spencer ignored her rude tone and continued on ," She made a will. "

LuLu interrupted with a brash laugh. " A what ? Why the hell would she of all people make a will ? She ain't got shit but an old ass house full of old ass junk. Nah. Get my kid or I'll go get him. If I get him I'm wake up every damn person in this damn house. "

DuBuis shot out," Go upstairs and I'll call my sister. The cop. "

LuLu curled her lip in mockery. " Ain't nobody afraid of your pig sister. The same pig shot my boy Jimmy. Gert was senile letting Sol hang around here with you two and those weird kids. "

Spencer kept speaking as though he had not been interrupted. " She made a will two years ago. I actually got her an appointment with my brother Richard. Richard made the will and Nigel witnessed it as his secretary at the time. She left the house and a life insurance policy to the boys. It's in a trust and I am the administrator of it. "

LuLu widened her eyes and took a step closer to Spencer which had DuBuis stepping between her and his husband. " You must be joking. "

Spencer shook his head. " I don't joke about business matters or wills or death. She also left custody of the boys to DuBuis and myself. There is the original will on file with the courthouse in Arlington. There's a copy in Richard's office. And I have a copy. Please go home and leave us be on this too early morning. Please return at a more respectful hour. Thank you. "

LuLu saw red. " You little pencil neck geek ! You ain't taking that money or the house. And you certainly ain't taking my kids. Fuck you. "

She reached around DuBuis to try to snatch Spencer by the front of his robe. DuBuis , in return, snatched her away from Spencer and marched her to the front door.

" Get your damn hands off me ! ," she whined loudly just as Sol appeared at the top of the stairs in his own pajamas. He looked both horrified and embarrassed.

" LuLu ! ," he yelled. " Why do you always have to do this ! Why you always have to act like trash ! I hate you so much ! I wish it was you instead of MeeMaw ! "