Episode 25

Richard stayed at the hospital with Rebecca while Nigel popped out around noon to head to the restaurant to approve final renovation details from the contractor and also to conduct a few more job interviews.

Which was how he was lingering in the front of the restaurant getting a bit of fresh air when he received the text messages. One was from his mother.

Matilda Swan : Darling boy , I was wondering if you had a wee little part time job at your sweet little restaurant for your sister Mary after school. Mary is so hardworking and reliable and practical. Just like her old Mum lol. I'm sure she won't let you down, darling.

His forehead wrinkled a bit. He didn't mind helping out his family but he wasn't sure about just offering a job at the restaurant to a teenage sister he didn't even know well. And hadn't even met yet although would at tomorrow's dinner at Spencer's. He decided to ignore the text for the moment and put it on the back burner until at least end of the weekend.

The second was from Joe Jacobs who he and Richard were very grateful to since he had been the one to discover Rebecca after she was hit by the car from what the cops told them. Apparently he had rarely left her side at the scene and was so concerned. It almost made Nigel feel guilty over poaching the man's workers for his own restaurant.

Until he read the text.

Joe : I assume that you are going to shut down that so called restaurant of yours. After all you can hardly compete against the man who saved sweet little Rebecca from certain doom.  I'll actually buy the space from you two. At a steep cost though. Call me.

He thinned his lips. So much for gratitude. At least on his part for Jacobs. He texted back two words," Fuck off ".

He was still glaring at his phone when that skinny Black kid Richie who had tried to " rob " him with a screwdriver came running up to him. To his fatherly eyes the boy looked even more skinny than before. His tee shirt and faded jeans were well worn and baggy. And his sneakers had more holes than Swiss cheese did. His heart went out to the boy because he reminded him of himself as a lonely familyless child on the streets.

" Hey , Richie," he called out to him. " Staying out of trouble? "

Richie poked out his lip. " I'm getting a job. I need to make some legit paper. You own this restaurant right? You hiring? "

Nigel lifted a brow at him. " Yes but I think you're a little too young. You're only twelve. Unless you lied to me and you're really a very youthful looking dwarf. Sorry. Little person. "

The boy made a face of pure disgust at him. " That's all adults tell me. I'm too young to work but they tell me not to steal. You all are three faced. "

Nigel smiled lightly. " Two faced. "

" Whatever. So you ain't got no work? I can clean. Wash dishes. Do security. I can watch out at night and make sure nobody breaks in."

Nigel looked at the insistent boy.  " Why do you want a job? Shouldn't you be more interested in school and video games and stuff like that? Where are your parents at? Where do you live? "

Richie snarled at him ," None of your business, rich man. Fuck off. You don't know what it's like being poor. "

Then he turned around and ran off before Nigel could respond.