Episode 43

DuBuis's handsome dark face was locked in a look of consternation and slight confusion as he came into the kitchen. The oddly quiet kitchen where Spencer and the three kids were doing more looking at the oatmeal Spencer had made for breakfast than actually eating it.

He walked over to his husband and whispered in his ear softly," Have you seen my wallet, Genius? "

Spencer lifted his head from the food he really didn't want to eat and looked at his husband in bemusement. " No. Where did you last see it, sweetie? "

DuBuis sighed. " On the table in the hallway. I'm pretty sure it was there. " His eyes went over to glance at a pallid face and saddened Sol who was stirring his oatmeal mindlessly around and around. Then he looked back at Spencer and said even lower ," It disappeared after I made LuLu leave. Or around that time. Do me a favor. Give Faith a text for me. Tell her I may need to make a robbery complaint or something. In between canceling credit cards and getting a new driver's license. "

Spencer's misery increased at the mention of the driver's license. " The Bureau of Motor Vehicles. I think that place is the very portal to hell if such a place actually exists. "

DuBuis laughed. He pressed a kiss to Spencer's forehead as he said," Be right back, baby. "

Spencer lifted his brows at him questioningly.

He whispered in his ear so that Sol wouldn't hear," I'm going next door. I don't appreciate people stealing from me. Be careful. Keep the doors locked. "

------------

The pawnbroker chewed on his unlit cigar and examined the gold wedding band that LuLu had placed in his big chapped hand. " Yeah. It's inscribed. So worthless unless I find buyers named Francis and Gertrude. I can't sell this shit. But you're cute so I'll give you ten for it. " His bleary red rimmed eyes leered at her as she stood across from the counter impatiently. " Maybe I can melt it down or something. "

LuLu tapped her foot in irritation. " Yeah right. You'll sell it for twenty five. I ain't dumb. Look. I'll give you a bj for thirty bucks. "

The man grinned at her with a mouthful of broken yellowed teeth that gave her shivers. " Deal. I got a private spot in the back. "

--------------

" So you and Daddy Nigel lied to me," Rebecca said matter of factly as she ate the pancakes and sausage links on her hospital breakfast tray. She made a face. Daddy Nigel's pancakes were much better than this. Gross.

Richard and Nigel looked at each other. Then back at the young girl. Richard asked warily," How exactly did we lie to you, Pumpkin? "

Rebecca sniffed and took a drink from her milk carton. " You both said you would never leave me. But you did , Daddy. You left to go get Lewis The Lame from England. I think you should send him back. He's weird and never talks. I don't like him. I don't like Niles either. I wish I was an only child. " She cut her eyes at them both and suddenly they felt like they were being judged and found extremely lacking in some essential quality. " And you let the bad man take me. He took my phone. I want it back. "

Nigel decided to distract himself with his phone. This was a daddy - daughter discussion so he was determined to see his stepdaddy self out of it.

Richard leaned forward in his chair. " I didn't leave you, honey. I was always coming back to you and Nigel. In fact I left you with Nigel and I knew you would be safe and sound. As for your brother I understand wanting to be an only child but trust me. One day you will start to appreciate and love your brother. Brothers. "

Rebecca snorted. " Maybe. Can I get a new phone ? An iPhone 15 pro max ? Since the bad man you let have me stole my phone? "

Richard thought he heard a snickering from his husband's direction but when he looked up at him his head was down too low over his phone. And his shoulders were shaking.......

" I do need a phone, Daddy. I've already been kidnapped once. How will I ever call you when I'm kidnapped again if I don't have a phone? "