Episode 48

Lyle reluctantly stepped away from Angel and tried to avoid looking at his old uncle who was standing in the over crowded living room staring at them. He should not be this embarrassed, he told himself. He was not some teenager caught groping his date at the prom or something. He was a grown man in his forties. A college graduate. A teacher. A man of the world. Ok. Maybe not the world. A man of the state. Ok. The county. He was a man of the county.

" Hi , Uncle Jack. "

Jack laughed raspily as he stomped forward with his walker , eyes narrowed on both of them as well as the mess they stood in. " Hi indeed, boy. What happened to your house? I know you got shot in this terrible crime ridden place but it has not been long ago to get your place looking like this. " He sucked in his teeth and glanced at Angel who stared boldly back. Angel also reached for his hand and held it in one smooth confident move that to Lyle seemed to scream out ownership. Lyle wasn't completely unhappy with that. Ok. He was actually very completely happy with that. To the point he squeezed Angel's hand back.

Lyle coughed slightly before saying," Pardon the mess , Uncle. We're just moving in Angel. " He looked at his boyfriend and then his uncle and then back at Angel. " This is my Uncle Jack, Angel. My mom's older brother from Clinton. He's retired from the power company now. Uncle Jack. This is my. My boyfriend Austin Anderson. He's a nurse. "

Angel smiled softly. " Nice to meet you. Just call me Angel. It's short for Satan's Angel. "

Jack snorted. " You still on the foolishness about being one of them people, Lyle? Like I said your mother would be so disappointed to see you now. Unmarried and no children. Living a sinful life. I thought that other one was bad enough. " He laughed huskily and wheezed at the same time as his eyes searched for somewhere to collapse his aging eighty something body. " Least this one got a job. That other fellow, Dick , Don , whatever, he was some artist or something? Barely worked, didn't he ? Treated you like shit too. " His eyes locked onto Angel with a sudden probing shrewdness. " So how long will you last, Mr. Austin Anderson? This a nice boy here. Sweet. Too damn sweet. How long before you take advantage of him like that other one did? "

Lyle wanted to just disappear.

Angel smiled coldly at the old man while still holding Lyle's hand. " Never. I will never hurt this man. "