Episode 85

Richard was extra overprotective of his husband that night when he got home from work. Yes , he knew that was irritating Nigel but he couldn't help it nor would he have changed any of his actions if he could help it. He loved his husband so sue him. That was why that night instead of Nigel cooking dinner as usual Richard took on those duties. Well at least as far as his pulling out his phone to order in delivery from the nearby Gonzo's Cafe. Burger and chili cheese fries for the children with chef salads for him and Nigel. Doing DoorDash and GrubHub was the extent of his cooking ability really. It wasn't that he didn't know how to cook. It was more he refused to enjoy the act of cooking. Just like how Nigel could not seem to enjoy the act of just sitting still and doing absolutely nothing.

" So that social worker, Rosie What's Her Name woman," Nigel said as they all gathered around the large dining room table that practically groaned with culinary delights," she mentioned a special education program, a day school, in the county that would be good for Tanisha. She told me all the steps we need to get what she called an IEP for her. "

Richard looked over at the little girl who sat in a chair next to his daughter Rebecca. Rebecca had surprised them all by taking a tremendous interest in Tanisha almost as soon as she had seen the tiny doll like child with the thick dark brown curly hair and sweet rounded face. She was as gentle with Tanisha as she was rude to Lewis and indifferent to Richie. In fact Rebecca had taken it upon herself to cut the little girl's cheeseburger into four separate pieces and was always there to wipe any food spills from her face and hands.

Richie rolled his eyes at Rebecca. " She can feed herself, rich girl. She ain't that dumb. "

Rebecca wiggled her nose at him , saying," I know that. She actually eats better than you do. You have ketchup on your shirt by the way. "

Richie looked down at his tee shirt and shrugged as Lewis smirked," Yeah. You also eat really noisy. You sound like that old housecat they had at the boarding school. Crunch crunch crunch. "

Richie ignored them both and turned to Nigel who was still talking to Richard about the possible school placement. His dark eyes narrowed on them with suspicion as he retorted," And she don't need no special school. Why you sending her away? She don't need to go nowhere. All you White people wanna do is split us up ! "

Nigel looked tired to Richard's eyes. Too tired.  Before his husband could respond to the boy Richard shook his head at Richie and said," Nigel isn't talking about sending her anywhere. If you would merely listen for a change you would have heard him say it is a day school. A bus would pick her up here and take her to the program in Greenbelt which is not that far from here. It's a private school in its own makeup but still part of the  special education system. "

Richie rolled his eyes. " Shut up, Wide Load.  You all don't get to make decisions for what happens to her. Or me. You don't get to send her anywhere. I'm her brother. I'm family. "

Nigel put down his fork and sighed deeply. " Richard. The little one. Not the big one. You need to remember your manners. Richard is an adult and deserves respect. He's not treated you badly. This is his house. Do not disrespect him. In fact apologize to him. Now."

Richie made a face. " I don't gotta do nothing. You two are just the same as every other adult. Two do-gooders like my granny always talking about. Y'all want to pretend to care but as soon you can you'll kick us both out. I ain't apologizing to Wide Load. And you can't make me. You not my father. Neither one of you are. "

Richard reached out for his cane which was beside his chair and stood up abruptly. With the hand not gripping the cane he pointed at the disgruntled child and said," Do not talk to my husband in that manner. He has been nothing but kind to you. And he is sick right now. Treat him right or go off to bed without finishing dinner. It's your choice. "

Nigel looked at his husband with shock. He hadn't intended to tell the children yet about the illness but here it was. All out in the open. Thanks a lot, Richard, he thought to himself. " Richard....."

Rebecca turned to Nigel with her eyes wide and her mouth open. She looked like she was about to cry. " Daddy Nigel is sick? No ! You're not going to die and leave like Mommy , are you? "

Lewis lifted his eyes from his own food slowly to search his stepfather's face intensely. He swallowed hard but stayed quiet.

Richie stood up. " Sick? Oh I get it. This is the end right? He's sick so we can't stay. I got ya. What you got anyways? Some butt lover thing like AIDS? "

Richard knew he was a child. He had read the file that Nigel had shown him when he got home. He felt sorry for both of these children but Richie , more than his sweet sister ,  irritated him. He was not used to a child like this. Even Niles. He took a step around the table towards the boy. Richie saw him coming at him , looked at the cane with almost fear and immediately grabbed a sharp looking fork off of the table. Aiming it at Richard like it was a weapon, he declared, " Get away from me or I swear I will kill you. "