Episode 105

As DuBuis Lane stepped off the elevator at his sister's apartment building in Takoma Park he was alarmed and frightened for his sister when he saw the yellow police tape stretched around her open front door. And all the police officers swarming over the apartment like buzzing angry bees.

His sister had never talked to him when she called. Just sobbed on the phone while whispering," I'm sorry, Melinda , I'm sorry, Pamela" over and over again. So he had immediately jumped into his car and sped to Faith's place , praying every minute of the drive over. He had not known what to expect when he arrived but it wasn't this.

And then they lifted the tape to allow two uniformed paramedics he remembered from his ER days to efficiently roll out a stretcher with a covered up body on it.

Shit. Faith.....

His steps quickened as he ran to the front door and stepped inside. Only to be grabbed by a pudgy White male  uniformed cop who growled out," You can't be in here, sir. This is police business. "

" Police business.... This is my sister's place. Detective Faith Lane. Of homicide. She's a cop. Her wife's a cop too. Where are they? Where's my sister? "

His heart thudded so hard he thought he might be having a heart attack. Faith ? In his mind he saw his baby sister running after him , begging to go with him, asking him a million questions. He saw her at his graduation from college screaming joyously louder than even Mama had been as they had called his name to walk across the stage. He saw her at her police academy graduation and afterwards promising him she would stay safe.....

" Where is my sister? "

He was prepared to bully his way into the apartment and find his sister when suddenly he saw her come from a back part of the one bedroom apartment. She looked older than her years. She looked older than he did at that moment. Her eyes were bloodshot and not from alcohol this time. From crying. She came to a sudden stop in the living room as she stared down at a large blood stain on the floor. The look on her face was devastating to him. Then she looked at him.

" Rollins , let him in. That's my brother. Let my brother in ," she commanded.

Then she ran right to him and into his open arms. He wrapped his arms around her trembling body and whispered into her hair ," It's going to be ok , baby girl. I promise. Everything will be ok. "

( " I skinned my knee! ," little Faith cried as she ran to her big brother. " It hurts ! Make it better ! " )

Faith held on so tight he almost couldn't breathe. She choked out raspily ," She's dead. Melinda's dead. And someone is gaslighting me that Pamela is alive. I think I'm losing my mind. Help me. Please. "