Episode 53

As the adults fussed on the deck the motley assortment of children ( Luci, Theodore, Sol along with Rebecca, Lewis and Race Jr. )were in the kitchen but not eating. No. The children were ignoring the sound of the adults in the other room but they spent much of their lives ignoring the adults so nothing strange was seen in that area. They even ignored the fact that DuBuis most firmly escorted his sister and his sister in law out of the house right past where young ten year old Race was teaching the others a new card game. One that nine year old Rebecca was taking to unusually well.

Of course when DuBuis was making his way back through the kitchen he was unable to ignore exactly what game they were playing. In amazed wonder and perplexed curiosity he put his hands on his hips and demanded to know," Are you playing poker ? How do you all know how to play poker? "

Most tended to have the grace to look at least mildly ashamed except for Race who just giggled at the man as he eagerly said," I teach them , I did ! Teach them good too. " He pointed a finger in Rebecca's direction. " This one has a good future on the circuit me Da would say. " Then he pointed at Lewis whose attention was for once diverted from his video game device to the cards he held. " That one, on the other hand, owes me twenty dollars so far. "

Theodore shook his head and smiled in a way that reminded DuBuis of his pothead friend Scout Mullins. " He is using some rather odd ways of teaching though, Uncle DuBuis. I am not entirely sure it's on the up and up. As my father, The Doctor, would say. "

Then Matilda Swan sashayed into the kitchen, exclaiming excitedly," DuBuis , darling, I must apologize for my daughter's abominable actions tonight. Children, right? What are you going to do, love ? Anyway I know how to save a dying party. And, baby , this party is definitely dying. That delightful Andrew mentioned you have a piano in the living room? Well I have the best idea. I'm going to sing for my supper and entertain everyone. " She laughed in a tinkly way that reminded him of holiday bells. " Accompanied by Andrew on the piano of course. I think we'll make a good team. "