Episode 32

The gun fired. Then another was heard.

And everyone in the small tidy park in Hyattsville, Maryland began to scatter with screeches of fear and dogs barking. Mothers with baby carriages quickly ran away as their trembling fingers attempted to dial 911. Kids hit the ground with their hearts thudding from both excitement and fear.

At the sound of the first shot Richard had thrown himself over Nigel and was now demanding to know if he was ok. Nigel shook his head and slid out from underneath his husband. " I'm fine. Fine but feeling like a pancake. What the hell just happened? "

Richard shook his head as well. " I don't know. But you might have been right, darling. Maybe we should have had the picnic at home. "

They both laughed, more out of fear than any type of humor, when all of a sudden Nigel's eye drifted downwards to Richard's leg. " Shit ," he spluttered in horror. " Richard! Didn't you feel that? You got shot ! "

                   --------

Angel heard the first shot and was immediately tossed backwards in time to the hospital emergency room. Only it was not him stepping in front of DuBuis this time. It was Lyle throwing himself on Angel. Damn it ! , his mind retorted. Why was this country so damn violent!

" Are you alright? ," he heard Lyle practically begging him as the man's arms kept holding him protectively. " Please say you are ok. Angel? "

Angel took a deep breath and exhaled it swiftly before saying," I'm fine. Are you? "

Lyle nodded. He was fine. He thought he was. Right? But his heart was beating so fast he thought he was having a heart attack. And his shoulder hurt ......... His fingers went to his shoulder and he was astonished to see the blood staining his skin. " Angel......"

Angel saw the wound and his ER training came back with a vengeance. He grabbed his own lightweight jacket and held it against the bleeding wound in Lyle's shoulder. Then with his other hand he dialed 911.

Lyle whispered," I didn't even feel it. Wow. This is what being shot is like, huh ? I'm going to die ? "